Flyman

Dimples In Plastics

Hi, guys. I been a member for awhile, but I lost interest in pouring my own baits(darn fly fishing taking up all my free time). What I'm doing wrong? I keep getting dimples in the baits.

P5270174.jpg

The fish don't care, but I would like the aesthetics of a smoother bait.

Edited by Flyman

Without any detail other than a picture, I would assume you are pouring out of a pop mold that needs to be resealed. If you are not pouring out of a pop mold then please give more detail.

I'm sorry; I'm not familiar with the term pop mold. Anyways, this is what I'm doing: I'm pouring into a rtv mold from Lurecraft with Lurecraft formula 548 . I heat the plastic on an electric range. The plastisol goes from a white liquid to a clear goo then to a clear liquid. I add colors and then pour. I wait about 3 minutes to pull the bait out of the mold. Then the bait goes in water bath.

I'm sorry; I'm not familiar with the term pop mold. Anyways, this is what I'm doing: I'm pouring into a rtv mold from Lurecraft with Lurecraft formula 548 . I heat the plastic on an electric range. The plastisol goes from a white liquid to a clear goo then to a clear liquid. I add colors and then pour. I wait about 3 minutes to pull the bait out of the mold. Then the bait goes in water bath.

I would suspect its the mold but looking at the pic it seems the dimples are different on each bait is this a single cavity rtv mold or are you pouring in multiple molds?

the problem is generally caused by oils in the mold or a release agent if you sprayed it on.

it happens in RTV molds quite often. try wiping the mold down, moisture along the mold can cause this as well, moisture builds up along a rtv mold if the humidity is high and you have a hot mold.

you can do a few things, Wipe the mold down, Bake the mold at a 1-200 geree temp for an hour or so and wipe the oils out of it.

its also known as sweating

another thing its called is fish eyes ( liek what auto painters get, the oils on your fingers push the paint aside.

use a paper towel to wipe the mold down before you pour.

one other thing that could cause it is if you use a scent in the plastic that is water based.

Delw

the problem is generally caused by oils in the mold or a release agent if you sprayed it on.

it happens in RTV molds quite often. try wiping the mold down, moisture along the mold can cause this as well, moisture builds up along a rtv mold if the humidity is high and you have a hot mold.

you can do a few things, Wipe the mold down, Bake the mold at a 1-200 geree temp for an hour or so and wipe the oils out of it.

its also known as sweating

another thing its called is fish eyes ( liek what auto painters get, the oils on your fingers push the paint aside.

use a paper towel to wipe the mold down before you pour.

one other thing that could cause it is if you use a scent in the plastic that is water based.

Delw

I had that problem once and it was because my mold had some kind of oil on it like del said. I soaked it in some soap water then scrubbed it real well with a kitchen sponge. Problem solved.

No more dimples! Hey guys, thanks for the tips and helping out a noob.