The Dude

Getting Known?

After about three years of creating and field testing, I finally have a line of baits that I am very proud of, and better yet are catching fish. I want to get them out to the fisherman to see what they think of them and see where it takes me. I would like to do this as a side business or at least make enough to keep me in plastisol!! I was wondering how all of you got your baits out there. I was going to do it the old fashioned way and hand them out to people I see at the dock that look like they could give my baits a workout. I was also thinking of going to the weigh-ins of the many tourneys in the Chattanooga area and talk to some of the guys. Am I on the right track?? I don't have a website or enough inventory to support a websit yet.

After about three years of creating and field testing, I finally have a line of baits that I am very proud of, and better yet are catching fish. I want to get them out to the fisherman to see what they think of them and see where it takes me. I would like to do this as a side business or at least make enough to keep me in plastisol!! I was wondering how all of you got your baits out there. I was going to do it the old fashioned way and hand them out to people I see at the dock that look like they could give my baits a workout. I was also thinking of going to the weigh-ins of the many tourneys in the Chattanooga area and talk to some of the guys. Am I on the right track?? I don't have a website or enough inventory to support a websit yet.

First of all I would get a web site so people can see your product at any point in time. Then I would hand them out to key people not everyone you see at the dock. Find the most credible (best fishermen) people you know and give them some. All it takes is for them to win a tournament on your baits and people will start looking at you. It's definitely not as simple as that but it works.

A few years ago I did the whole hand them out to everyone and their brother and all I did was waste time and plastic. Over the course of a year I poured 5 gallons of plastic for give aways and I got three orders in return.

Just my two cents....

Side note... I designed my website and a few others. If you decide you want one let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Start local and work your way out. Find a tackle shop that will push them. Then while doing that hit the forums and try and get the word out. If you have any small time tournaments in your area see if you can sponsor them. Another way is try and find out what state or states use that type of bait and try and push them their. Also sell some on ebay or where ever you can sell them but don't ask a ton for tem you want to get them in peoples hands to use and catch fish. If all fails the internet is world wide lol.

A few bits of advice:

Start local

Viral marketing works wonders.

A picture of a lure will attract attention.

A video of the lure in action will spark interest.

A video and multiple pictures of lunkers caught (pics preferably shown WITH LURE IN FISH MOUTH) will sell lures.

If I was marketing lures on the internet, I'd invest in a hat cam.

Edited by mainbutter

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to start out with a couple of the better fisherman in my club and go from there. It's hard to get them to use something other than the brands they have confidence in, it's kind of the "old dog learning new tricks" scenario!! My hope is that my designs will peak their interest enough for them to give them a good try. The only thing I will ask in return is pictures!!

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to start out with a couple of the better fisherman in my club and go from there. It's hard to get them to use something other than the brands they have confidence in, it's kind of the "old dog learning new tricks" scenario!! My hope is that my designs will peak their interest enough for them to give them a good try. The only thing I will ask in return is pictures!!

Hey Dude

Just beat those guys in your club a couple of times with your lures and see what happens

JSC

• Like 1