Muddy Tires

My first perch pattern...

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MuddyTires/Fishing/?action=view&current=Pudgy_Perch.jpg

It has an aluminum spine recycled from a damaged road sign, lead ballast in the stomach cavity, two BB rattle chambers, a salt chamber and a Lexan diving lip.

Thank you for your input.

Greg

pudgy_perch.jpg

pudgy_perch.jpg

pudgy_perch.jpg

pudgy_perch.jpg

pudgy_perch.jpg

pudgy_perch.jpg

pudgy_perch.jpg

pudgy_perch.jpg

450_thumb.attach

Nice lure! I've recently played with making lures with a metal core and 2 wooden sides. No easy task and I've yet to complete one.

How big is this lure? Do the fins and tail give it too much rudder action?

If you make another, it might work out well to paint one like a walleye. Red G8tor taught me this: you can make cloudy eyes with a little slice of hot glue stick, backed with aluminum foil. Attach the eye materials then epoxy over everything.

Hi Legendary,

The fins do act like a rudder and dampen the wiggle. I found by making the diving lip oversized you can overcome the dampening action.

The glue stick eyes idea is very interesting. I will try this and the Walleye pattern on my next lure.

Thanks for the compliments and your "name that lure" contest.

Greg

If your intrested in a negitive answer then Mr. negitve says > To many hooks , they need to be apart. According to the picture > they will cross each other and this will throw off the action. This will most likely accur durring the cast. Taking away the middle treble and moving the end treble to the center rear of the tail might be better location. This is only a suggestion based on the picture. The lure it self looks nice! what lenth is it?. I just thought maybe you would like to hear from bolth sides. Nice work !.

Hello boatnik13,

I take all points of view as constructive information.

You are probably right about the hooks getting tangled during a cast.

However this lure was made for Lake Trout trolling and probably wont get cast alot.

It is almost 6 inches long and is pretty heavy.

Thanks for your input it will help me refine my next pattern.

Greg

I'm taking a guess that if its 6" long then the widest point is 1.25" or 1.5"at the shoulder or behind the gill area! then I suggest a 1/0 treble hook based on the what you said about Lake trout fishing and not Musky fishing.(if not already using that size) Take away the middle treble Idea. the size hooks in the picture in comparrison with the lure size > you will have plenty of misses. The change in hooks will add weight but no problem if trolling.(keepinh in mind of the size of a trouts mouth and body lenth.

muddy tires, do you go to www.acplug.com? the reason i ask is because i think you have answered one of my questions on there and it seems like you are interested in big swim baits if you are interested in swim baits you should go to that site. go to the acplug store and look at the baits they are quite spendy but they are beautiful and the action is magnificent!!!! i love them they are responsible for many huge/record stipers and alot of trophy brown trout over ten pounds, i reccomend anyone who looks at this message to check out acplugs.com if they already havnet, thanks

[/b]