jrhopkins

Best Topwater Color?

made a swithwick devils horse type prop bait and was wanting some opinions on the best all around color. i'm thinking black. i think it would show up better ( from the fish view ). i have one for years that i painted black on the bottom and have had pretty good luck with it.

made a swithwick devils horse type prop bait and was wanting some opinions on the best all around color. i'm thinking black. i think it would show up better ( from the fish view ). i have one for years that i painted black on the bottom and have had pretty good luck with it.

Years ago we use to throw allot of blacks and frog patterns with the DH The stuff on your site is truly amazing! You certainly are gifted.

Black is probably the best, But also White or Yellow would be good too. Frog colors, If your going for Musky then Duck colors are always good, I had some success with Gold and Purple too.

Has anyone ever noticed the big companies that sell top water frogs always paint the top of the lure but not the bottom? I think that is odd because the fish cant see the top, I think the only reason they do it is because they want the guy or girl buying the lure will think it looks good but not knowing that no matter how it's painted on top, its only the bottom that matters. is that just me that feels that way? =P

@ jrhopkins

I make most of my topwaters in black color or at least with a good portion of black on them , ........but often also with a bright colored head portion(orange , neon yellow) or other bright spots , stripes , etc. , ......so that it is easier for me to locate the lure after casting and or whilst working it back in .

In my opinion black color just casts the best silhouette for the predators to see against the sky from down below .

greetz , Dieter :yay:

One of my best bait colors when bass are busting on shad was a clear bottom with the back and sides painted an off/white color with silver and blue glitter. This was on a "walk the dog" type lure which I believe the bass thought was an injured shad. Several friends also have good luck with a completely clear bait in the middle of summer when there's not a cloud in the sky. Believe a lot depends on the water conditions as to what color is "best".

Edited by RayburnGuy

i agree with stryker & diemai, black seems to work best for me.....a few months back i posted a pic of a "tweety-http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/6605-tweety-pop/

Edited by surfk9

Black is probably the best, But also White or Yellow would be good too. Frog colors, If your going for Musky then Duck colors are always good, I had some success with Gold and Purple too.

Has anyone ever noticed the big companies that sell top water frogs always paint the top of the lure but not the bottom? I think that is odd because the fish cant see the top, I think the only reason they do it is because they want the guy or girl buying the lure will think it looks good but not knowing that no matter how it's painted on top, its only the bottom that matters. is that just me that feels that way? =P

I think the reason for the dark top/light bottom schemes is the contrast when the lures roll as they're walked.

I do clear lures with irridescent backs and shoulders, and they catch fish. Probably because they are hard to see well, but the commotion they create when they're retrieved attracts the bass, and they have no negative cues from the paint scheme.

Well hard to say, might depend on the fish you are fishing for and region you live. Overall for 'prop' baits I would have to say white or 'light' colors when I lived in Omaha and smallmouth bass and other toothy critters were involved, and now in the Carolinas, man I'd have to say orange belly for that bluegill/bream/sunfish thing in the summertime, but barring that scenario, white/light colors.