pikester

Foiled Paint Schemes

Hey folks, just brainstorming on what to do with some new silver foiled baits I got cookin'! Two are flat-sided balsa cranks, one is a Glidin' Rap style balsa glider, all destined to be chewed by pike & walleye. My personal favourite is Clown so at least one will get that treatment but just curious to hear what colour schemes are productive for other builders here ;)

Hmm, your silver foil looks suspiciously gold to me!

I like simple patterns on silver foil to let the foil do its thing - shine shine shine. Light gray back with a pearl white or silver belly seems to get bit as well or better than other color patterns I've tried. I think that sometimes a simple color scheme with neutral colors is effective because it doesn't give the bass any negative visual cues. I'm in favor of eye candy for the bass, not the bass fisherman.

Hmm, your silver foil looks suspiciously gold to me!

I like simple patterns on silver foil to let the foil do its thing - shine shine shine. Light gray back with a pearl white or silver belly seems to get bit as well or better than other color patterns I've tried. I think that sometimes a simple color scheme with neutral colors is effective because it doesn't give the bass any negative visual cues. I'm in favor of eye candy for the bass, not the bass fisherman.

Haha, I can assure you it's silver foil. I'm not much of a photographer yet so I had to take that picture in real low light to get it to turn out. When I took a picture with more light it was glaring so bad it was like looking into the sun! Thanks for the tip about keeping things basic & simple, it would be easy to get carried away & paint the heck out of them thereby defeating the purpose of the foil job.

Edited by pikester

I just finished one sort of in my post on this board. I did the belly pearl white, spayed solid yellow over the back and sides, then added black through mesh on the back for scales. The bait turned out crappy, but might give you and idea. Oh the post is "Misadventures in propionate"

on minnow baits on the belly I like the old school rapala look (or current AC shiner look). A (pearl) white bar (ie not faded into the lower sides). The top of minnow baits get a light coat of a neutral solid color (not scales) such as black or darker gray. For non-minnow (shadish, etc. style) I'll do a fade of white on the belly. On the top I do scales or solid colors with a variety of colors. I guess I'm old school when it comes to minnow baits but more experimental on the other styles.

Thanks for the ideas fellas, I actually painted the glider last night with the idea of keeping it basic & simple to get the most out of the foil but it ended up getting out of control! I just started adding colours & couldn't stop :o Oh well, 2 more to go but because I am super busy with work, 3 little boys , & a wife who lacks patience for my free time, it might take me a week to finish them! Will post pics of all 3 when done :P

Hi,

when using silver foil I like shad type patterns & w/gold foil, perch always works nicely.. Right now Im working on Rainbow trout, one each in silver & gold to see which looks better.. Here is a silver foil shad I did a few weeks ago.. Only using black on back, pearl white on belly & color shift paint on upper sides and same colors used on cheek/gill area..I mixed glitter into the e-tex coatings to add some extra bling bling to it.. Rubbed the foil cut-outs on a piece of plastic that had a stone paver looking image embossed into it to get the foil effect you see in pic..

Jp~

post-15273-046529600 1276442015_thumb.jpg