MathewTan

Greetings From Singapore

Hi all in this wonderful forum.

I'm Mathew and from Singapore. Recently I've been having thoughts of building my own deep divers. However, am not sure where to begin with.

Would appreciate if someone could list down the type of tools needed for starting out in lure making.

I believe I can get some Balsa wood and thin acryalic sheets for the dips around here..

Regards,

Mathew

Feel free to drop by my fishing blog

http://www.mathewtanfishing.wordpress.com

Welcome to TU.

The tools that you require are largely dependant on your work space. Are you working on your kitchen table or do you have a workshop?

As this is your first attempt, you can get away with the simplest of tools: box cutter knife (with the snap off blades), modellers tenon saw, drill and bits, various grades of sand paper. For sealing and top coat, a slow curing epoxy, acetone for cleaning, water based paints for art work.

After half a dozen lures, you will know if you like the hobby. The next purchase would be a quality mini drill, most select Dremel for this and a set of bits for sanding etc. You may be considering an airbrush at this stage, or may stick with spray cans, many use the cans.

As you get further into the passion, if you have a workshop, you will be considering a bandsaw, drill press and a belt sander. But some of the very best builders on this site make do with the basics.

Dave

Thanks so much in taking time to reply.. Yeah looking at airbrushes as well.

Unfortunately I don't have a workstation at home so most likely will be working off a table in the corridor.

Unfortunately for us in Singapore we don't have much people doing their own lures :) Nonetheless it's really inspiration to look through other members creation of lures.

Hopefully I can show some of my DIY lures in the making soon ;)

regards,

Mathew

@ Mathew Tan

Welcome here at TU !

Seems , that Vodkaman has already said a lot about the basic tools and materials to get started .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmefnZ13YQ

Check this out to get a first idea on making balsa lures , though these typical Finnish lures are not the deepest divers !

Also check out the second part of this video !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIwwO2qrpM

greetz from Hamburg/Germany , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

@ Mathew Tan

Welcome here at TU !

Seems , that Vodkaman has already said a lot about the basic tools and materials to get started .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmefnZ13YQ

Check this out to get a first idea on making balsa lures , though these typical Finnish lures are not the deepest divers !

Also check out the second part of this video !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIwwO2qrpM

greetz from Hamburg/Germany , diemai :yay:

i love those videos, however I dont understand the language. What is the glue that he uses to put the through wire in? Also, do you know how he cuts his lip slot? I did not see him do it.

@ atrophius

The language is Finnish , lurecarving has a great tradition over there ,...... just think of "Rapala" , "Nils Master" , "Turus Ukko" , "Grossari" , "Jesse" , etc ...... lures !

The glue , that he uses to bond wire and wooden inlay into the belly slot seems to be ordinary white wood glue , the waterproof kind , I suppose ?

I use this kind of glue , when I ocassionally make through-wired lures consisting of two halves to bond these together .

In the second video starting at 7:45 you can see the lip assembly on the bigger lure painted in the Scottish national colors ,........ he cuts the lip slot freehand with a sawblade on either side of the lure to a kinda "V"-shape , also cutting this "V" notch into the lips base to fit in .

I have a couple of handmade Finnish baits(swapped with Finnish friends) , I guess even one made by this particular guy(saw same model and color hanging in his drying rack in the video) , they're all made that way , that the lipslot was cut AFTER foiling and painting .

The lip slots on these baits are rather more bigger notches to glue in the typical Finnish "saddle style" lips , but some are the "usual" slots as well .

greetz , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

Welcome to the TU Mathew. Nothing much to add to what the guys have already replied. Lures can be produced with the minimum tooling so I would not rush out getting loads of gear initially. The bug will surely bite and that's when there is no hope for you and you are on the slippery slope to a lifetime of lure making and you will want to increase and improve your facilities. You will find an answer to almost every problem you will come across right here on this board so go for it and have fun, its even more fun when you catch your first fish on your own lure, that makes all the hard work worth while.

What I will add though is pay special attention to that diving lip, accuracy is essential as the lip will affect the action badly if not set correctly.

Have fun and dont forget to post us pictures wink.gif

philB