CatchemCaro

Wood For Gliders

6 posts in this topic

I want to make some glider / spooks for the first time. I'm not sure what woods to start with. What are the best glider woods and why. And doe's any one know what Black Dog uses on the original Lunker Punker.

Thanks again

Rich

Blackdog uses willow but I use basswood. It is very readily available and cheap where I am. If I am making a subsurface glider I have had great results with oak. I like the denisity of oak. I dont have to add alot of weight and I can get great action out of it. Basswood allows me to add much more weight and keep it on the surface. So I can get the weight I need to get it to glide but still float.

Pine also works well for Punker-type lures. Strong, buoyant, and semi-hard. And it carves/shapes easily.

Red mahogany and teak wood works fine with me and easily available here smile.gif

Birch and maple are my two favorites, though maple must be sealed well (I use 2 coats of epoxy). They are very hard and heavy, and for many subsuface models (1-3 feet), I do not even have to add any weight to them.

Pat