QuickLures

What You Use

Howdy. I'm having a little trouble and hoping yall can help. I've been making baits for a while now and have no trouble carving or turning baits but I do have a lot of trouble painting and putting a final coat on. No real trouble actually painting the baits(except for a few splatters), I can't find a good paint that airbrushes and gives that blur effect. Ive been using createx and a water based acrylic bought at HoobyTown USA. I also need a strong clearcoat. Been using polyurethane and it chips easily.

I'd like to know what you use and how. Thanks for the help.

Airbrush paints, I think most use Createx Auto Air myself included. Don't ask me how to get it to spray nice because I still struggle with that myself even though I've tried all the usual tricks; Windex, water, reducer, medium, etc. I think the biggest trick is just getting real good at using your brush ;) I have had real good luck with 2 other products; Golden Airbrush paint made by Golden Artist colors, & a sprayable ink called FW Acrylic Arists Ink made by Daler-Rowney. I like the FW the best because it is made with high quality pigments which result in nice, vibrant colors plus it's pretty thin so you don't have to add anything to it; just pour & shoot! The only downside is it's pricey for me ($8.00 for 1oz!) & the only store in Calgary that sells it doesn't have a lot of color variety.

Clearcoat is easy, most use either Devcon 2Ton epoxy or Envirotex Lite pour-on epoxy. The ones who don't use those use Dick Nites(sp?) topcoat.

That should be enough to get you rolling a little smoother :)