u63405

bringing new life to a beat up lure!

found this lure about a year ago on the edge of a small lake covered in mud. this lure certainly caught my eye, especially since it had what looked like a massive amount of marks (I guess some Big fish was hungry).

At any rate, I finally got around to REVIVING this lure and I'm really happy at how it turn out. :D

fe23_001.jpg

fe08_003.jpg

fe23_001.jpg

fe08_003.jpg

fe23_001.jpg

fe08_003.jpg

fe23_001.jpg

fe08_003.jpg

fe23_001.jpg

fe08_003.jpg

fe23_001.jpg

fe08_003.jpg

fe23_001.jpg

fe08_003.jpg

fe23_001.jpg

fe08_003.jpg

452_thumb.attach

453_thumb.attach

Thank you for the compliments. Feels great to know others appreciate the love, craftsmenship, time and dedication that we pour into these lures.

You know, when I found this lure I vowed to bring it back to life, but first I had to learn more about lure making before i could attempt to bring it back to it's original state. A year later, I'm still learning, but I was ready to try my hand at it and I'm very proud of my accomplishments!

Thanks again everyone for the kind words!

Art Brush,

I have not been able to identify the maker of this lure, as there were no names or markings (besides the markings u see in the photo) to show who made it.

As to your second question. I first coated the lure with devcon to fill in the holes and then sanded it. Then I used a white primer (bullseye 123).

Nice restoration! The next great feeling this revived lure will give you is the one you'll get when you catch a few fish with it! :wink:

Here's one I rescued recently. It's a Robert's Mudpuppy. It was missing most of its paint, had a couple fair sized chunks of wood missing around the eyes and teeth marks all over it. All of the original hardware was intact except the eyes. I filled the damaged areas with wood putty. I have to admit that I had second thoughts about filling the teeth marks, but I decided that I would hopefully acquire new ones. The new eyes are brass tacks with painted pupils. The new clear coat is Spar Urethane.

There are some folks who frown on restoring old lures. However, I did permanently mark the lure as a repaint. Also, the paint pattern is my own Northern Pike pattern, not a duplicate of a Robert's pattern. On the other hand, I own the lure and as such, I'm free to do with it as I please. And I please to send it back on its original mission...

mudpuppy_repaint.jpg

I'll make my first post on this site a guess ...... it looks like one of the mini " O " series, made by Cotton Cordell in the 70's. The Big O was the legendary Cordell bait, but they also made them smaller.

Re-doing crankbaits and other baits I find is the reason I'm lurking here for info on how to paint them and restore them. So far, this site has been extremely helpful and is really whetting my appetite to attempt more.