Trisomy21

Carving Help.

Hey was checking out this site, lurked around for a good while and really admire what you've all done. I found my carving kit the other day (never used it before) and

started hacking away at a piece of pine (don't even know if its a good wood to use) and kind of impressed myself with the outcome and the enjoyment of just

sitting down, having a beer or three and carving for a while.

I'm basically wondering what the best method for making a good, wooden lure is. just carve away on a solid chunk of wood or something about cutting it in half?

The 1st pic is what I did yesterday, didn't use any guides, used pine and well kinda liked the outcome. The second is an old Heddon Vamp plug, believe it was called

"Old Faithful" I'd rather make a backup than lose the old one. I did learn one thing and picked up some basswood.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks :)

lure01.jpg

lure02.jpg

Well, that looks pretty good. There is tons of info here that can be found through search etc... As far as two pieces, It really depends on what you your preference is and what your fishing for. I say preference because you can do a through wire construction without splitting the wood in half on some instances. i say what your fishing for because if your just bass fishing or doing panfish or some of the smaller species, you probably dont have to through wire your bait to hold your hooks. With that said, there are always exceptions and ways that people like to do things, so you will find a lot of variance in that here.

As far as starting out with making lures, it is mostly important to keep the centerline of your lure. Keeping track of this will set you on the right path to maintain balance and proper function of what you are making. There is a ton more information you may need to research on here to get the full jist of it. Some things you will want to read about through the search here are ballast, wood sealing, crankbait lips, through wire construction, paints , topcoat, eye screws, making your own eye screws,lip angle etc. etc. There is really a lot to it that you pick up over time.

Just for example, you lure looks great, and I am not picking or anything. But in terms of it functioning like the lure below it, there are some considerations to take before even shaping it. One of those would be to know where the centerline is for the length of your lure. This plays roles in making a perpendicular cut to place the crankbait bill, the center of your bait to place your ballast, and the center to place your screw eyes for hook(hook hangers). If your bill is not perpendicular to your centerline , or off center, it will not let the lure function as you want it. It will pull to one side or flip over. Also, if your ballast(lead weight that counters the attempt of the lure from rolling over due to the pressure of water on the bill) is off center, it will also cause your lure to list to one side.

So thats just a few examples of what to think of when you want to make a lure. The advice that i got when I first started here, find a lure to duplicate, start with a single piece of wood, and plan how your going to place all the needed items before you even start carving it. If ya have any more questions just feel free to ask, but a little research will also go a long way. There are some guys on here who are very experienced with this stuff, right down to the mechanics of it all. So best of luck!

Yeah that first one was me not planning at all. Yeah I'm going to read some more stuff around here and try and make the second lure. I'm sure it'll go a lot faster by planning it out in the long run too. Thanks a bunch for the tips and help :)