toadfrog

Rtv Question

RTV silicones vary a great deal as far as viscosity goes. You can get information on viscosity by checking the manufactuers' websites. If you're pouring soft plastic, especially in one-piece molds, you could probably get away with something like Oomoo. I bought some to try, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet; it's supposed to be very easy to pour and it's relatively cheap. I figure it's worth a shot.

How do you or what can you use to make silicone more fluid easier to spread or form.

They do sell thinner for it BUT, test a small batch out using Mineral Spirits as a thinner. I've done it in the past as I had some old RTV that thickened up. Add a little MS at a time until you reach the right viscosity. The molds I did this to are over a year old and are no worse for using the MS.

Husky,

I have a few tubes of GE clear silicone. Will that work for making molds? Can it be sped up by adding water?

I'm not sure about GE Sil. Try a small batch to see if it will set wit H2O. ]If it does it most definitely will be good for molds.[/b]

I have an updated method in the works.. It allows for full pours.

Here's the original.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/16783-diy-an-instant-12-rd-rtv-silicone-mold-for-under-a-buck/

Edited by Husky

I'm not sure about GE Sil. Try a small batch to see if it will set wit H2O. ]If it does it most definitely will be good for molds.[/b]

I have an updated method in the works.. It allows for full pours.

Here's the original.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/16783-diy-an-instant-12-rd-rtv-silicone-mold-for-under-a-buck/

I actually have that saved on my computer, and refer to it from time to time.

If I have time today, I'll play around with the GE Silicone, and let you know how it works out.