capt mike

Baby Bass Colors With Auto Air Paint

Can anyone give me a list of the best colors to do a baby bass paint job. I plan to buy auto air and createx paint. Especially wondering how to achieve that irridescent olive color. Thanks for any help. Also, does anyone use a gold paint marker for scale tips or should I use airbrush and stencil. I'm making a 9" baby bass swimbait.

Edited by capt mike

I would like to see the paint job when finished.

Dan

Sure thing...i'm off to Dixie Art Supply to buy some colors and an air brush today. I'm painting a 10" gizzard shad with 5 sections made from a tupelo tree that I cut myself. It's a huge bait but it swims fine. Tupelo is a very bouyant wood and took a lot of lead shot to get it straight. It's my very first handmade wood lure. I used info from a few of these sites for this project. When it's done, (pending success) i'll post the details. I'm sure iv'e done most of it wrong or the hard way. The baby bass is still "in the mill" and not ready for paint just yet.

I'm not real familar with auto air, but I havent seen a good transparent olive green in regular createx. I've mixed green and black to get the olive color, but it wasn't transparent. The gold marker pens are used for carvings or taxidermy where scales are present. They are difficult to work with and my opinion aren't worth the $4. Your going to need to create your own scales with gold over black and use transparent green to get the look your after.

My very 1st post. Just painted this during the week and had great success thismorning with it. The photo washed it out a little, it a bit darker. Its mostly translucent with a white belly.

Back - Black over Dark Green over Olive

Sides - Light Olive

Lateral Spots - Black over Olive

Belly - White

Throat - Red

Top Coat - Dark Green, Pearl, Chart and Copper Flake added or mixed into 2Ton

P6150015.JPGP6180005.JPGP6180004.JPG

Edited by paskeeter

My very 1st post. Just painted this during the week and had great success thismorning with it. The photo washed it out a little, it a bit darker. Its mostly translucent with a white belly.

Back - Black over Dark Green over Olive

Sides - Light Olive

Lateral Spots - Black over Olive

Belly - White

Throat - Red

Top Coat - Dark Green, Pearl, Chart and Copper Flake added or mixed into 2Ton

P6150015.JPGP6180005.JPGP6180004.JPG

Nice lure (Pred baits?) and nice fish!

Congrats.

Mmmk with a baby bass paint job there are several ways to do it and many different paints that you can use but by far the best paint job is done by mattlures

here is his paint job

darklargemouthbass.jpg

with a paint job this complex the final colors are transparent so that you do get those silver and gold scales to pop out at you when painting, also the best place to get specific transperent bass colors is wasco.com. they have med bass and dark bass ;) good luck man :)

Mmmk with a baby bass paint job there are several ways to do it and many different paints that you can use but by far the best paint job is done by mattlures

here is his paint job

darklargemouthbass.jpg

with a paint job this complex the final colors are transparent so that you do get those silver and gold scales to pop out at you when painting, also the best place to get specific transperent bass colors is wasco.com. they have med bass and dark bass ;) good luck man :)

Good call. I agree. I've looked at the Matt Lures Hard Bass site many times. Very nice almost taxidermy quality paint job. I was wondering if any of the taxidermy sites make stencils for small bass. I would love to do a stencil with the gold scale tips. That would be a very nice touch.

I have a bass swimbait carved with all the scale detail carved in- in a cross hatch pattern over the entire body. I was thinking about doing a light spray of black over the scales in the beginning over the primer and then lightly sanding with steel wool to get the in-between scales effect. I know that taxidermists do this on reproduction blanks. What do you think? I want to use the scale texture for an added effect. Just not sure what yet.

Dan, thanks for sharing those colors and your bass pattern. I presume those are WASCO paints (med. bass)? You do nice work. Who makes the gold toner?

Edited by capt mike