atrophius

Dn's

8 posts in this topic

Was curious for you DN users, how toxic is it? I have used some lacquer on top of a few baits and need something else to top coat with. I might go back to etex, but was just curious inhalation wise for DN.

Was curious for you DN users, how toxic is it? I have used some lacquer on top of a few baits and need something else to top coat with. I might go back to etex, but was just curious inhalation wise for DN.

You will definitely want some ventilation. I dip my baits and hang them in my spray box which is fan vented out a window.

You will definitely want some ventilation. I dip my baits and hang them in my spray box which is fan vented out a window.

okay, so short of not having any mechanical ventilation, would an open porch work if left out there to cure? I am just curious how bad it is for you.

Have you tried contacting Dick Nite to see about getting an MSDS sheet?

I wouldn't want to inhale the initial fumes but think it's no worse than other polyurethanes. The solvents in DN flash out quickly and there is little if any odor after an hour or two. I apply DN in the garage and in winter, take them inside after a few hours to cure in warm/humid air. The cure process takes some days (maybe even weeks) to fully run its course. I'm not suggesting there is no solvent hazard involved, but I haven't experienced any problems or heard of problems from other users. RG's suggestion is a good one if you have significant concerns.

Edited by BobP

Have you tried contacting Dick Nite to see about getting an MSDS sheet?

Hmmm, I dont know why I dont think of these things before I post. Haha, although some things sound a lot worse on paper.

Hmmm, I dont know why I dont think of these things before I post. Haha, although some things sound a lot worse on paper.

No worries. Half the time if it weren't for hindsight I would be totally blind. blink.gif

It's the same with me when I order from Del's. I always remember something else I want a second after I hit the submit button. If he weren't aces, I'd go broke on additional shipping charges.

And hindsight can be great, depending on whose hind you're watching. ;)

Edited by mark poulson