Kris

D2t Melting In Sun

Has anyone had or heard of D2T melting in the sun AFTER it has cured? I painted a lure for a guy and he said that after it set up in the sun for awhile on his boat it melted to a mess of goo.

He told me that I must be using paints that don't work with the clear coat I'm using. I'm using Createx, Polytranspar and Wildlife. Never had this problem before.

Any ideas ??

Never had it happen, never heard of it happening. If the D2T was correctly measured, mixed and cured to a normal hard coating, I just can't believe it. I'd ask Buddy to show you the lure, otherwise write it off as b.s. None of the water based paints you mention should have any effect.

I've never seen this 'incident' happen before. My brother has lures that I have painted for him that I have coated with both D2T and DN. I live in Louisiana where this time of the year it gets around 100 degrees easily. Never a problem.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a something got on the lure and there was a chemical reaction ????

I always figured like BobP said ... 'correctly measured, mixed and cured' it would be hard as rock.

Sounds like BS to me, never seen devcon turning into a pile of goo. I stripe my old lures with a torch and it's doesn't melt the devcon into goo.

Have to agree with the others, sure would like to see the bait.

I had an old bait that was done with DT2 a couple years ago and just to see for myself how much heat it takes to damage it, did a little test. Hair drier applied within 1" for 4 minutes, no damage, but it was very hot to the touch. Heat gun was used next and you have to get the epoxy hot enough to smoke before it will bubble the surface.