Drifter

What Am I Doing Wrong Today?!

Sorry folks but I'm frustrated beyond belief with my hand pouring today! I keep getting air pockets near the tops of my worms. I'm used to maybe having 1 out of 8 do that but I'm batting .500 right now! Too bad I'm not a switch-hitting shortstop, I'd be stupid wealthy...

As far as I can tell, my plastic is the same temp as before, I'm pouring slowly, tilting my molds, "poking out" the air bubble, and topping each one off. These are molds I got from LC and they've been great - til today. I'm not blaming them, just to be clear. I'm blaming myself and don't know what to do...

How do you guys get rid of the air pockets on a 2-piece top pour mold?! I'm very tired of remelting half of my efforts and wasting an entire day...

Thx,

Scott

Sorry folks but I'm frustrated beyond belief with my hand pouring today! I keep getting air pockets near the tops of my worms. I'm used to maybe having 1 out of 8 do that but I'm batting .500 right now! Too bad I'm not a switch-hitting shortstop, I'd be stupid wealthy...

As far as I can tell, my plastic is the same temp as before, I'm pouring slowly, tilting my molds, "poking out" the air bubble, and topping each one off. These are molds I got from LC and they've been great - til today. I'm not blaming them, just to be clear. I'm blaming myself and don't know what to do...

How do you guys get rid of the air pockets on a 2-piece top pour mold?! I'm very tired of remelting half of my efforts and wasting an entire day...

Thx,

Scott

I would say pour slower and or hotter this is where a good IR Thermometer may help you know exactly what temp your pouring at

Thx,

Scott

With my stick bait I just pour a steady stream down the middle of the mold. I try not to hit the sides. And just fill to the top. there is an excess on the top top help fill any shrinkage as it cools. I find if i am too hot I get quite a bit of shrinkage.

Thx,

Scott

There is no need to tilt your mold or "poke". The key is to top off the cavities before the plastic contracts too much. If you top off too late, you are actually creating the air pockets. After you fill the cavities, just go over all of them and watch to see if you need to do it again. This should solve your problem. Don't get frustrated, it just takes a little practice.

Edited by 152nd Street Baits