DanCampbell

Cd For Lip?

1/32" circuit board or 1/16" polycarbonate (aka Lexan) is stiffer and more durable.

Hi Guys,

I'm sure I will find out the hard way but in my limited testing I could not break this lip with moderate torture testing. in the end the lip "Sheared" off rather than break. Many smacks on edge with a hammer and rock did not even chip it.

I am going to proceed with one and use it roughly, so far it seems pretty strong.

Dan

Hi Guys,

I'm sure I will find out the hard way but in my limited testing I could not break this lip with moderate torture testing. in the end the lip "Sheared" off rather than break. Many smacks on edge with a hammer and rock did not even chip it.

I am going to proceed with one and use it roughly, so far it seems pretty strong.

Dan

Please keep us posted.

Hello,

I read that Cd's are 99% Polycarbonate, they are mostly 1.2mm thick.

Would this be too thin for bass lures? Has anyone given this a try?

Dan

You could also try that clear "cd" that comes at the top of a 25 or 50 pack spindle. I would be careful of that the shiny coating on the top of a cd. I've had cds crack and that stuff gets all over and is a real mess. Is very light and is a perfect material to go right into your eyes while cutting.

I've got a bunch of the clear ones, maybe I will try it.

Like husky said they break easy. It will be very clear when you fish in the cold. The Cd's I used would separate in layers after they were cut. A stock CD is sealed on the edge better than the inside. To save you frustrations find the hottest your fishing box is going to get and the coldest the water is going to get. PS more than once I have broken ice with the boat to fish or fished frozen rivers that are below freezing. Stick a peace in the freezer the size of lip you are going to use. use a pare of vise grips and clamp the peace if you don't break it then tap it on solid objects to see how much it can take it will warm up quickly, so be fast for a good test. also you might be surprised how hot your box will get I have slacked and melted worms enough to stick together.

I wouldn't waste my time on these things. These guys are correct. Somewhere, I read that CD's and DVD's were made of pure polycarbonate crystals and they are crystal clear once you get the shiny coating off of them. I tried using cds and dvd's and was very disappointed in them. As Kelly said, the layers seperate easily after cutting. I glued the layers back together but it didn't seem to make them any more durable. The first bill did well until I hung it up and just a couple of jerks the bill snapped off. The others broke just banging them off the rocks while retreiving. The water was cold (march), I havn't fooled with them since. Should you decide to proceed, good luck and keep us posted.

John

I don't know what kind of cd's you guys use but mine are not laminated...... I'v used them for a while now and it works great, never had a lip break either , I think my balsa bodies break first before the lip would break.

Only downside they're only available in 1.2mm thickness, and I can't find a good supplier for thicker lexan arround here. But for lures to about 2.5 inches they work great.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22929

Clear Lexan* Polycarbonate 9034 Sheeting

Lexan* 9034 uncoated polycarbonate sheet is the standard grade of Lexan* sheet for transparent protective glazing. High-impact Lexan* 9034 sheet can be utilized for primary glazing, or on either side of existing glazing for economical protection against breakage or intrusions. A better insulator than glass, Lexan* 9034 sheet contributes to lower energy costs. It is virtually unbreakable, making its products an excellent condidate for safety in areas where parts may be exposed to high impact. Will withstand -40° to 180° continuous and 250°F short term with no load. Forming temp. is approx. 375°F. Excellent thermoforming characteristics. Cold form radius no tighter than 100 times the thickness of the material. Superior fire performance. UL listed for burglary resistance. No UV treated surface. Typical applications include interior applications for industrial and commercial, interior glazing in security areas, fabricated parts, industrial machine guards and much more. *Lexan is a registered trademark of General Electric Company.

A 12 x 48 piece of 1/16 goes for $10.89. Nice clear polycarbonate for making bait bills. Seems reasonable enough.

Polycarbonate is pretty much dirt cheap. Its the same stuff they make bulletproof glass from. I'm not sure why you'd bother with something inferior for the lip after putting all that work into a bait.

A well-made bait with a polycarbonate bait will handle year and years of very rugged use in any temp.