Manny

Molding And Casting

When you come up with a design that you want more than one of , how are you producing more.

What molding and casting material is being used mostly ?

As a Taxidermist, I mold fish a lot and cast them as custom replicas... Not only do I get the exact match but get numerous copies.

For molding I use High Fiber for my bedding. and Bondo thinned with fiberglass resin for the mold.

After waxing the mold and applying PVA ( Release Agent ) I then cast with Bondo thinned with fiberglass resin ( More resin than Bondo for a harder cast ).

I can make it lighter by adding Micro Ballons or heaver with Cabosil.

I figure I can add a chunk of wood to the inside of the blank for some boyency if needed or led.

My plan is to mold it in to halves in order to access everything, than epoxy together.

Is there another casting material that would be better ?

What are your thoughts on this ?

When you come up with a design that you want more than one of , how are you producing more.

What molding and casting material is being used mostly ?

As a Taxidermist, I mold fish a lot and cast them as custom replicas... Not only do I get the exact match but get numerous copies.

For molding I use High Fiber for my bedding. and Bondo thinned with fiberglass resin for the mold.

After waxing the mold and applying PVA ( Release Agent ) I then cast with Bondo thinned with fiberglass resin ( More resin than Bondo for a harder cast ).

I can make it lighter by adding Micro Ballons or heaver with Cabosil.

I figure I can add a chunk of wood to the inside of the blank for some boyency if needed or led.

My plan is to mold it in to halves in order to access everything, than epoxy together.

Is there another casting material that would be better ?

What are your thoughts on this ?

Hey Manny,

You can't go wrong using a 27 shore or higher RTV Silicone for your molds and Urethane Resin in conjunction with 3M microspheres. If you use the search feature here, you'll find a wealth of info.

Good Luck.