Bullsbug

Help With Coloring

I just started pouring and am having trouble getting colors right. I know it is a lot of trial and error, but figured I'd ask and see if I could get a few questions answered here. I mixed up 4 oz of calhouns and added 13 drops of Bears green pumpkin and 2 drops of black. I got a fair shade of green pumpkin, but it was too translucent(more watermelon) and not quite dark enough. How do I get my colors darker and more opaque? More coloring and does adding white make it less translucent.

I just started pouring and am having trouble getting colors right. I know it is a lot of trial and error, but figured I'd ask and see if I could get a few questions answered here. I mixed up 4 oz of calhouns and added 13 drops of Bears green pumpkin and 2 drops of black. I got a fair shade of green pumpkin, but it was too translucent(more watermelon) and not quite dark enough. How do I get my colors darker and more opaque? More coloring and does adding white make it less translucent.

sometime you have to add alot of color.....try doubling the watermelon drop around 30 drops and see if thats the color you want...shoot me a pm with any more questions i'm learning as i go so i know what you are going through..i also am using calhouns plasitc.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try doubling my drops. Where do you get floured salt?

I found a coffee grinder in a kitchen cabinet, and just ground up the fine salt I bought from Del.

It suspends in the plastic better than the fine salt, but it does make lures opaque. Not a problem if you want a solid color like green pumpkin, but not good for clear baits, or transparent colors like watermelon.

Colors are a funny thing and everybodys are differant. I saw a post on another board with the bears green pumkin and it looked just like you explained transperant unlike other manufacturers of that color. I have lc greenpumkin and it is more green solid(opaque) than others out there. I do have alot of customers that love it. To my eye I like bears ever since I saw it. So the advice to add more color is the only thing you can do for now until you get a chance to try other brands. Frank

Colors are a funny thing and everybodys are differant. I saw a post on another board with the bears green pumkin and it looked just like you explained transperant unlike other manufacturers of that color. I have lc greenpumkin and it is more green solid(opaque) than others out there. I do have alot of customers that love it. To my eye I like bears ever since I saw it. So the advice to add more color is the only thing you can do for now until you get a chance to try other brands. Frank

Bear sell salt. Also can use a coffee grinder use salt with out iodine. As far as color also make sure you shake them if they have been sitting .... Most everything else has been covered

As far as color also make sure you shake them if they have been sitting .... Most everything else has been covered

I second that, put a small nut in each of your bottles, color will separate quite extensively from sitting and takes a bit of shaking to re-distribute.

You can also use popcorn salt for testing your colors and getting them more opaque. While it is a bit more expensive than what you can buy from the mold suppliers, it is fine in size and can be ground or flaked easily. Walmart carries it in their Spice isle and it is in a blue small container.

Jim

PS Remember if you use salt, you will have to use even more colorant. Salt will lighten your colors up.

Edited by ghostbaits

what i have noticed with bears green pumpkin colorant is what it produces is a brownish green more brown and i prefer to sell an actual green pumpkin so i add watermelon colorant to mine also at 2 parts grp to 1 part watermelon. as for your opaqueness dont use the black but if your not gonna use salt a single drop of white in 4 oz. should get you close. as for salt i use the salt bear and lc sell straight out of the jug. just remember you will have to add more colorant to wash out all the white(salt) you will be putting into the equation but with salt you wont need the white colorant!!