flyguys

Getting Into The Hobby

I have been tying flies for years now but am finally retiring from the Air Force and moving back to my hometown of Springfield Ohio. Fly Fishing wont do so well there so want to get into making lures because i tie my own flies i want to make my own lures. There is alot of bass and crappie around so would be making 2 1/2 to 4 in. patterns med depth. Need help what i need to buy to get started materials, tool, ect. maybe a tuturial to get me started im a quick learner. Thank you in advance

You should start off simple. Carve some wood using hand tools, box cutter, sand paper, hack saw, elec' drill etc. Stuff you probably already own.

Read up (search) on sealing and top coats, key words propionate, devcon, etex, Dick nites, createx (color paint). It is the sealing and the top coat that make the quality.

If you enjoy the experience, then you can think about more tools. The first tool would be a quality mini drill, most use Dremel, do not skimp here, as the failure rate of cheaper drills is significant (personal experience).

Brouse the gallery for patterns that catch your eye. Ask specific questions when you find problems, everyone here wants to help you.

Dave

You should start off simple. Carve some wood using hand tools, box cutter, sand paper, hack saw, elec' drill etc. Stuff you probably already own.

Read up (search) on sealing and top coats, key words propionate, devcon, etex, Dick nites, createx (color paint). It is the sealing and the top coat that make the quality.

If you enjoy the experience, then you can think about more tools. The first tool would be a quality mini drill, most use Dremel, do not skimp here, as the failure rate of cheaper drills is significant (personal experience).

Brouse the gallery for patterns that catch your eye. Ask specific questions when you find problems, everyone here wants to help you.

Dave

Maybe even buy a couple of kits and start there, move slow and steady. This hobby is addictive.

Oh, and listen to everything Dave says.

@ flyguys

Check out these vid's to get some kinda ideas and impressions , .......though it's in Finnish language and about Finnish crankbait styles it should come in quite handy for a newbie to crankbait carving ,..... a great tut from the land of "Rapala" and "Nils Master" .

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmefnZ13YQ

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIwwO2qrpM&feature=related

Also some more luremaking videos to be found on "YouTube" , utilize the search function there typing in terms like "luremaking" , "homemade lures" ,"lurebuilding" , "homemade crankbaits" and similar .....!

good luck , .......greetz , diemai :yay:

WELCOME.....Checkout CRANKBAITCENTRAL.COM.....quick read on the ABC's of crankbaits..Also Stripersonline.com has great tutorials in the fishing forums,just like this website TU...both are loaded with helpful peolpe willing to share & answer questions.....Use the search engines,there are great pics & info of their artwork & addiction.

I have been tying flies for years now but am finally retiring from the Air Force and moving back to my hometown of Springfield Ohio. Fly Fishing wont do so well there so want to get into making lures because i tie my own flies i want to make my own lures. There is alot of bass and crappie around so would be making 2 1/2 to 4 in. patterns med depth. Need help what i need to buy to get started materials, tool, ect. maybe a tuturial to get me started im a quick learner. Thank you in advance

I have been tying flies for years now but am finally retiring from the Air Force and moving back to my hometown of Springfield Ohio. Fly Fishing wont do so well there so want to get into making lures because i tie my own flies i want to make my own lures.

Free patterns for crankbait lips on ..www.luremaking.com...It's a Canadien site that has free downloads of tips & patterns.