kramerbill

Hard Nose

If you're going to use salt water plastic, I advise to add a bit of softener to it.

You don't want too big a difference in softeness to super soft because the bait might

not have the same action. It's easy with stick molds. I fill the mold; cut off the top I want

to be harder, close the mold and pour salt water plastic heated to a little over 300 degrees.

There's no point doing it for large frogs and swimbaits would be a challenge.

Dipping does nothing for toughening up plastic except making a bulkier lure head.

Frank

If you're going to use salt water plastic, I advise to add a bit of softener to it.

You don't want too big a difference in softeness to super soft because the bait might

not have the same action. It's easy with stick molds. I fill the mold; cut off the top I want

to be harder, close the mold and pour salt water plastic heated to a little over 300 degrees.

There's no point doing it for large frogs and swimbaits would be a challenge.

Dipping does nothing for toughening up plastic except making a bulkier lure head.

Frank

Well, there is obviously a niche following for Mann's Hardnose Baits. I happen to have a couple bags of their jerkbaits which are similar to a medium swimbait. I can see somebody wanting to duplicate that for a swimabit.

Well, there is obviously a niche following for Mann's Hardnose Baits. I happen to have a couple bags of their jerkbaits which are similar to a medium swimbait. I can see somebody wanting to duplicate that for a swimabit.

was thinking about this today so maybe someone could tell me if this would work. if using a top pour mold. could you pack some sculpey clay in the head of your bait, pour all the body with soft let it cool then pull the clay and pour a hard head. just an idea didnt know if the plastic would stick to the clay.

was thinking about this today so maybe someone could tell me if this would work. if using a top pour mold. could you pack some sculpey clay in the head of your bait, pour all the body with soft let it cool then pull the clay and pour a hard head. just an idea didnt know if the plastic would stick to the clay.

If I'm understanding you right I think you would need a sprue on both sides of the mold for this to work. Cannot comment on the interaction between the clay and plastisol.

I do this routinely with my frogs, swim baits and fluke/skinny dipper baits.

Just have 2 cups of plastic ready. Pour 3/4 of bait with whatever hardness you want and then pour the last part with saltwater plastic. That simple. Works with 2 piece or 1 piece molds alike.

I also do this in the belly of swimbaits to hold the insert in better and on one side of some of my flipping baits to hold the hook better when flipping in the real thick slop.

With hand pouring it is a simple and quick process. I did do some with hand injection but it is a PITA to make the bait, cut the nose portion off, replace the bait and then shoot hard plastic in. Takes way to much time to me. It does work though.

Jim