luke1wcu

Scales

I'm trying to figure out how this artist achieved this particular scale pattern. This is from a bait that I saw on Ebay, where I often browse for ideas. I didn't want to include any names or even the full picture because you never know how some may react and I don't want to go steppin on no toes or nothing. I think this picture gets the idea across though. Anybody know how I could achieve a pattern like this???

post-20159-023690200 1278389971_thumb.jpg

The technique was published on the forum 'stripers on line', by the member named Highpockets. If you search for a thread titled 'scale tutorial', all will be revealed. I will PM you the link.

Dave

Vodkaman,

I am interested also and cannot find a link, could you also send it to me? Thanks!

i've done numerous lures with scale patters like in the pics and here is how i do it..

-get some paper, cut out some "half moons" out from it with a small carpet knife or surgical knife,also there are these scissors that have that halfmoon cutting blade on them. you can also just cut 1 of those half moon and do every single scale independently but that takes hell of alot of time to do, and its much easier to align the scales on your lure while you paint when you do them in a row with special the stencil.

- apply a darker color on the area where your about to do the scales, like brown, black or green. this will be your base color.

- start spraying from the head part of the lure and just apply the paint lightly, you can fix the scale stencil on to the lure using tape and making sure that you don't mess up and move the stencil while your painting the row of scales. once you get the hang of it, you can just hold the stencil by your thump, believe me with a long process like this it will make things that much faster.

- paint the scales by inter lapping the scales while you move the tail of the lure. once both sides are done you can spray a very lightly with the color that you just painted with making all the scales look more uniform and pop up more.. after all your looking for a 3d effect with scale pattern such as this one.

i hope this was comprehensive enough if not you only have to pm me and ask. cool.gif

Dave (aka Vodkaman) is the one who gave me the link originally so he should get any due credit. As usual I'm just passing on information that the veterans at TU have shared with me.

since those are pics of my lures i can tell you how i made the stencil. i use overhead projector sheets because they are plastic and flexible to contour of each lure, also easy to clean. i used a single hole puncher to do a half cut, then i went over those cuts with another round of half cuts to achieve the look i wanted.

it takes time and practice. It was solarfall's lures that inspired me so i got to talking with him.. great guy to talk to.

i use solvent paint so its easier to clean and gets less build up on the stencil

good luck!