Semi22lr

Hook Slit In Two Piece Fluke Pop Mold

I want to do a one piece or maybe a two piece POP mold of a fluke and need some advice on how to put in the hook slit. I was thinking of just using a divider from a plano tackle box but not sure it will stand up to the heat and that it will remain straight. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

here's one thread

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/9686-anyone-know-how-to-make-a-fluke-mold-from-pop/page__p__64277__hl__%2Bhook+%2Bslots__fromsearch__1#entry64277

If you do a search fro "hook slots" in the Soft Plastics Forum you will find many threads on this subject. I went through just a few and grabbed this one for you.

Here's how I added a hook slot to a swimbait mold. I would highly recommend aluminum. Since you're making a new mold...cut the pieces and insert them in your fluke like shown on my post. I personally don't like a fluke with a hook slot. I made mine solid and like the way they perform and hold the hook. good luck

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/12495-adding-a-hook-slot-to-a-pop-mold/page__p__89712__hl__%2Badding+%2Ba+%2Bhook+%2Bslot__fromsearch__1#entry89712

I want to do a one piece or maybe a two piece POP mold of a fluke and need some advice on how to put in the hook slit. I was thinking of just using a divider from a plano tackle box but not sure it will stand up to the heat and that it will remain straight. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

I use two methods, and was just about to post on the second.

I found aluminum extruded straps in my hardware store, correct thickness. I cut them out to length and drill two or three holes in the portion that sticks down into the mold. In the holes I twist in a piece of copper wire, something to give the POP a bite into. I put the metal into the model bait that is usually glued on its back to the bottom which will be the top of the mold form. Obviously the strap is wider than the hook slot.

The second method I devised for RTV but just made a mold last night in POP using it. I take two pieces of glass and seperate them in the corners with 4 spacers made from the above strap material. I seal the glass with silicon rtv seal or clay. I pour in 2 part rtv. It hardens into a sheet. From the sheet I cut a piece and the portion the sticks down into the mold I puch holes with a paper punch. Accross the bottom to keep it rigid from rippling when making the mold I glue a bar, a wire from a coat hanger accross it.

To this metod I also have made the sheets by mixing silicon seal RTV, Like Husky has posted on, with water and put a glob on the glass and press it into a sheet by putting the glass down at an angle and pressing it down to the spackers. That sets up in 20 minutes and from that sheet I cut the slot maker. RTV does not stick to metal but will stick to RTV.

Edited by Piscivorous Pike