CHAMPION-206

Anchoring Down Swimbait To Make Mold

HI I am having a heck of time keeping my master taped to the tupperware while trying to duplicate a swimbait. It seems to want to come un done up by the head and seems to float up in the wet plaster. MY question is, HOw are you guys anchoring down the master so you can pour your plaster over it. I followed a tutorial to a tee but my first 3 attempts were not that good. lol.. I searched and found 2 sided tape is what most use..It didnt work for me.. SO what am I doing wrong here? Is there anything else I can use or try?? Any help is apprecieated..

Brett

Does the swimbait have a flat top ? If not, the tape down won't work. Also have you washed off the bait with detergent? On baits that have rounded tops I use the pin down method. Put plastic or vinyl on a cork tile and use straight pins to hold the bait down. Tape your bottomless container down and pour the POP.

I use super glue that I buy from the dollar store.

www.novalures.com

Wow NOVA thanks for such a quick response.. lol u know as soon as I read my own question it dawned on me to try super glue. It works great on my weedguards for jigs. I think if the swimbait would have stayed in place my mold would have came out decent. This is my first post in soft plastic forum.. I am a jig tyer but wanna try to pour my own swimbaits. I really appreciate all the info you guys have posted and shared it has spead up my learning curve greatly..

brett

Does the swimbait have a flat top ? If not, the tape down won't work. Also have you washed off the bait with detergent? On baits that have rounded tops I use the pin down method. Put plastic or vinyl on a cork tile and use straight pins to hold the bait down. Tape your bottomless container down and pour the POP.

Aww that is clever And yeas it is a flat topped bait. The tape i had was about a year old maybe it was weakened over time. So you use a cutout tupperware and pour your plaster on top of cork board with the bait pinned to that? I think I understand that. im gunna go try that. lol I lovethis site so many good people willing to help.

Brett

Yes and I put thin plastic under the entire mold. You can also use tape with a few pins to make sure. There are photos of the cutout and pour on top method in my POP tutorial. Good Luck.

thanks for the help i superglued and it worked great. I made 5 molds yeasterday and the first two were unusable. after I learned your tip i got three useable molds.. I have my hands on a line thru swimbait and cant figure out how to get the hollow area for the mojo to come out in the mold?? any ideas? Also i searched for your tutorial and couldnt find it. I would love to review it.. I made a really nice 5 " sassy shad mold im really liking cant wait to try it out. lol. I can get addicted to pouring my own plastics..

Brett

P.s.Thanks again for your help and super quick responses

Click on Forums, then scroll down to Knowledge base, under member submitted tutorials click on soft plastic and it's POP mold making in two parts.

lol i didnt even realize that was the tutorial i was using. It was greatthanks I really like all the help this site has. And users willing to share ideas and knowledge. thanks again.. Btw do you have a technique you use to get the line through slot on your swimbait. I use a mojo weight and have a 4" version of this bait i wanna make a mold of. I just cant figure out how to make the slot for the weight to go..

Brett

use a piece of a small diameter drinking straw

i had a piece of wooden dowell in it. but how would i mold it so that it would pour with that opening is what I am asking. I dont understand how the straw would do anything differant than the dowell. but im new and appreciate your help. Please inform me if im wrong. lol thx again.

Edited by CHAMPION-206

i had a piece of wooden dowell in it. but how would i mold it so that it would pour with that opening is what I am asking. I dont understand how the straw would do anything differant than the dowell. but im new and appreciate your help. Please inform me if im wrong. lol thx again.

after thinking about i think I understand what your saying FRed and thx im gunna try it out while my paint is drying on the house. I really appreciate all your help. Isnt funny how close a person can be to completing something and then something doesnt work out. Thats where this site is great. I see how the straw now would form the peg i need to make the insert, lol thx guys ...

Brett

lol i didnt even realize that was the tutorial i was using. It was greatthanks I really like all the help this site has. And users willing to share ideas and knowledge. thanks again.. Btw do you have a technique you use to get the line through slot on your swimbait. I use a mojo weight and have a 4" version of this bait i wanna make a mold of. I just cant figure out how to make the slot for the weight to go..

Brett

On the few line through bait I pour I put the insert or weight in the mold and pour it in. On the 5" baby E baits there a place on the mold to rest it on...on others you can rig up something using wire to keep it in place.