orionn1

Bear Baits Vs Bass Tackle Hand Injectors?

I have Bass tackles twinjector and it is designed to give you consistant results time after time. The two injectors fill at the same time and give even pressure when filling the mold thus you get a real even and uniform bait every time. The tip are held on by a pin so they dont fall off in the hot pyrex cups. With this system there is no pumping the hot plastic in and out just fill and shoot. I do not have a bears unit so I will not comment on that one. Also the twinjector is available in two sizes around 6 oz and 12 oz. Plenty of plastic for the non production minded person. My large ones are on the way. I posted a video here when it first came out. The post also includes the bears unit video. Frank

As for needing the two parts you were asking about I think you would need to have both units to really know if you need them.

Edited by Frank

Bears seems a lot more user friendly to me, has one little adapter that moves with the injectors and takes little cleaning. With Bass tackles you have to take the adapter apart (3 wing nuts) and clean it out after every round.

i use 2 medium injectors from bears baits and the blending block from basstackle and when you combine the 2 together you have magic!! as for the tips falling out of bears inejctors i have been using them since they came out over 16 months ago and i have only done that once mine just never seem to fall out for me even when i push the plastic back into the cup you just have to remember your not filling a mold and go slow and as soon as you see the tip start to move ...STOP let it cool then peel out the tip (i never open mine up) then start all over again...good luck whichever way you decide to go!!!

I am sure cause I own one and when Kevin first made one it had three but I let him know that they were not nessecary so he supplys only one now. Kinda like the locking pins that I put on the tips, I emailed a pic of what I did and Kevin incorperated it into all of his from then on. You see with the injectors together you cant hold two tips in two containers without them falling off. I know it looks like more of a hassle with more parts but it does not have a trick to use. Just fill and shoot. One tip plastic as most of us know has a differant viscosity at differant temps so when you press down on the injectors and they are together the easy one(thinner one) will not inject more plastic than the one with a lower temp (thicker one). That is why it is very important to get the plastic near the same temp before you shoot( within 10 deg). This is not a perfact system but it will gave you results that will make production baits look like a 5yr old did them. I use mine alot and have a system down so the time spent pouring is not idle time watching plastic cool. The waste from what I use is less that three oz from three cups of plastic. I spend no time pumping plastic in and out of the injectors to heat them and cleaning them out to fill again takes about 20 sec. No plastic buggers to deal with and fresh hot plastic to fill every time you shoot. Frank

I am sure cause I own one and when Kevin first made one it had three but I let him know that they were not nessecary so he supplys only one now. Kinda like the locking pins that I put on the tips, I emailed a pic of what I did and Kevin incorperated it into all of his from then on. You see with the injectors together you cant hold two tips in two containers without them falling off. I know it looks like more of a hassle with more parts but it does not have a trick to use. Just fill and shoot. One tip plastic as most of us know has a differant viscosity at differant temps so when you press down on the injectors and they are together the easy one(thinner one) will not inject more plastic than the one with a lower temp (thicker one). That is why it is very important to get the plastic near the same temp before you shoot( within 10 deg). This is not a perfact system but it will gave you results that will make production baits look like a 5yr old did them. I use mine alot and have a system down so the time spent pouring is not idle time watching plastic cool. The waste from what I use is less that three oz from three cups of plastic. I spend no time pumping plastic in and out of the injectors to heat them and cleaning them out to fill again takes about 20 sec. No plastic buggers to deal with and fresh hot plastic to fill every time you shoot. Frank

frank thanks for the info do you have a picture of your?

you can email at oriontala1@yahoo.com

This is a little off topic but Frank to secure the nozzle end on the injectors that are not pinned could you not put a seated head in a injector drill a small hole not all the way through remove the head seat a roll pin then take a end mill in a dremel or drill pres make a l slot from hole drilled to end of injector? Then simply reinsert heat into injector and twist to lock it. After reading seem that is a simple solution to lock non pinned heads I dont really have to much a issue but have not payed attention time to time and have dropped the head back in the hot plastic in the pyrex.

This is a little off topic but Frank to secure the nozzle end on the injectors that are not pinned could you not put a seated head in a injector drill a small hole not all the way through remove the head seat a roll pin then take a end mill in a dremel or drill pres make a l slot from hole drilled to end of injector? Then simply reinsert heat into injector and twist to lock it. After reading seem that is a simple solution to lock non pinned heads I dont really have to much a issue but have not payed attention time to time and have dropped the head back in the hot plastic in the pyrex.

Yes I believe I am reading you right and adding a pin to ones that are not, is easy. This fix was not to critisize other designs it was out of my own nesecity. And when presented to Kevin he saw the benifit and incorperated it into his. Now when I use the twinjector like I said I just fill and shoot then I push out the rest back in the pyrex with a swift push without the fear that the tips will fall off. For the people that dont like the lock idea, dont lock it but for the ones that see the benifit it is a real simple fix. Jacobs baits saw the benifit and incorperated it in his also. Frank

I've used both Bear's and Kevin's 2 color injectors.I've had the Bear's tips modified(inside diameter) for 2 color injecting that eliminates un- necessary and immediate clogs that makes 2 color injecting more user friendly.. I've given Kevin my recommendations to modify his 2 color injector. Although very well made and a superior idea-the aluminum is too thick , the pathways too long and angled which causes the plastic to cool quickly between injecting molds.That is simply not acceptable to me. You cannot preheat Kevin's in a toaster over due to the round,rubber plunger knobs.For the time being,I'll stick w/ Bears for two color injecting.They do need more precision refinement and locking tips .Placing Kevin's 2 color injector back into the melted plastisol containers between rounds will NOT stop the plastic from clogging.Kevin is working on modifications which hopefully will correct the premature clogging .

How many mold do you want to fill at a time without stopping? I have not had the problem of the adapter clogging before I am done. Even when I clean out the adapter it is still liqiud in the middle. Frank

How many mold do you want to fill at a time without stopping? I have not had the problem of the adapter clogging before I am done. Even when I clean out the adapter it is still liqiud in the middle. Frank

I have completed 24 molds throughout a 5 minute time frame,including some demolding and replacement of mandrels w/2 medium Bears injectors-injecting 2 colors and placing the injectors back into the 2 Pyrex containers without reheating the plastisol when changing the mandrels and/or demolding. Kevin's two color injector started to clog after the 9th cavity - same temp,same viscosity of plastisol.The temps were monitored w/ an infrared thermometer.I placed Kevin's back into the hot plastisol to draw new plastisol but no go-the injectors had to be disassembled and cleaned of solidified plastisol. I'm sorry but that's is not acceptable performance when I'm looking for consistent,commercial production and results. There was also a distinct loss of the necessary feeling of a full mold when using the two-color injector from Bass tackle.There was also a problem moving from mold to mold w/ the 2 color adapter.

Edited by smallmouthaholic

That is what I thought people using it for production will not like it but most people dont have 24 molds. That said how consistant are the baits when the temp drops down and you get some build up on the walls of the injectors. And now is see why you want a bigger hole in the injector nozzle. I can see the channel in the Bass Tackle unit being to long and clogging up. Do you have the large injectors from Bass Tackle? Mine are on the way as we speak. I will probably never own 24 of the same molds but would like to fill more molds from one shot. I do alot of variety stuff and shoot same type baits in a setting. One other question how many baits do you get from 24 molds? Sorry for all the questions you are the first one that said you have had both units and I am real interested in your opinion. Frank

I put Kevin's in the toaster oven all the time and have never had an issue with the knob. It'd take some serious sustained heat to melt that thing.

I have a small toaster oven and one the soft rubber ends became dented when I removed it after brushing the side of the oven. I heat my injectors to 325+ degrees for 5 minutes. I mentioned to Kevin that I would replace the rubber push knobs w/ hard plastic ones like bears. This was not meant to be a put-down,just constructive suggestions.As a commercial manufacturer,I look @ every piece of equipment used daily for-

1-ease of use/user friendly

2-consistent results

3- longevity

4- price

Edited for spelling

Edited by smallmouthaholic