XLR8n

Any homemade lure making machines?

Thanks 'Smallie', makes for interesting reading, and as the photos show, like us, they are all around it, but too, seem to be having problems with which cutter to use. I have been reading some patents, and there is a Russian guy with some interesting ideas on cutters etc.pete

Vodkaman,

My saliva glands go nuts with the thoughts of a bloody mary from some neat bar up near Spart Wisconsin. ........ sorry lost my train of thought.

I agree that the intial cut with the side cutting would have to be thought out well. I was thinking that if you had the "pattern" have a slope on the "feed in" to the body so that it was a gradual cut versus just dropping it into the body and having your wood "shoot your eye out" when it popped out. Obviously that is time wasted ... time is money.. money is competition. Gotta go dinner bell just rang:twocents:

Awe inspiring machine!!!!!!

I pretty much get the way the duplicater works but a couple of questions

I was wondering how you get the tracer and saw blade to travel up and down? (probably a threaded rod of some sort) then it looked like you release it to travel back up in its final resting place before you took the blank out. How did you manage to release it from the threads(or whatever it was that you used to get it to move in the z axis) to slide it up and down

Mine is designed to cut in both directions. When the carrier reaches the end stop, a microswitch automatically cuts the feed to the cutter and stops the travel motor and reverses it, ready for the next pass.

On the reverse pass, the stock direction is reversed also, so the cutter is still correctly cutting (climb milling).

As for the other part of the question, there are many ways to transfer the stylus movement to the cutter, but that is up to you. That is the design part, the invention part. Redg8r shows his method, so that is a starting point to get the brain working.

Dave

I did some looking late last night at the terrco duplicaters they look like they would work for making lures. It looks like the vertical router type except it has two turn tables

that rotate together so you can get a full 360 cut .Alot of gun guys use them for custom replacement stocks.

I would put the link here but I'm not sure how, sorry.

A-ha I see full blown production!!!

I think alot of us would be happy just being able to turn out a duplicate blank and are'nt worried about speed although even hand loading blanks would speed it up alot

do you think it would work with a wood lathe on very low rpm with tracer wheel connected to hinge thats connected to a ginder with a saw blade.

so you would put in a 20" piece of wood connected to short piece of square tubing then your original in the end

so as your lathe turns very slowly you can guide the grinder and tracer by hand

then maybe after you first lure you slide the grinder down a ways lock it make another repeat until you have a spindle with 3-5 lure blanks on it

think it would work???

PS, it could work, but their are a few considerations.

First the lathe stock must turn at the same speed as the master. As you feed the cutter into the stock, the tracer stylus is going to move in and out at the speed of the lathe. I don't know what the slowest speed of the lathe is, but 2 revs per sec or 120 revs per minute seems to be the maximum for this type of duplicator. I determined this by viewing all the other duplicators out there.

Second. As each copy is made, at each end, the stock is reduced to a small diameter, I am planning on 6mm dia, this might have to be increased, but we will see. So, if your stock is 20" long, it would be like turning a 1/4" dia dowel, 20" long. It would flex under the load. It would be better if you could feed the stock through the chuck and keep the grinder near the chuck, but not sure if you can do that sort of thing.

A-ha I see full blown production!!!
Yes, it has been considered as a next stage. It would be really nice to sell a couple hundred lures per month, this would mean that I don't need to go back to my office job. But if a major player comes to me and requests 10,000 pieces per month, I have a plan to accomodate. Now wouldn't that be nice. Most unlikely, but you never know.

Dave

Yes your right the original would be made out of two inch stock with the square pieces left in place the with a piece of square tubing you connect the blank stock so you would have from the motor 2" square stock a piece of 2" I.D. square tubing then your original all rotating on the same chucks.

I am a millwriight by trade and have worked on cnc machines that have the auto feed through the chuck and they can be very complicated to set up and repair although once you get them running they are reliable

one thing we had problems with was the ends of bar stock jamming these machines

because they were to short for the chuck to grab just something to plan for

Good luck

Of the duplicator machines published so far, are Redg8r’s saw cutter and the router bit. The router bit can be divided into two classes, end on and side cutting. The saw cutter has been proven by Red (nice one), also the router side cut has also been proven, but I cannot find the link, probably in the wrong forum, please post if you can find the link, it more than deserves to be included in this thread.

Is it this one?