XLR8n

Any homemade lure making machines?

Nice job Trex, all you need now is a length of all thread rod and a 12v motor to drag the router along and you are in business--- Also don't forget to make the pattern follower the same diameter as the cutter (or the cutter the same as the follower) otherwise the blanks will turn out a lot different to the pattern. Keep us posted with some pics.pete

Any Drawing yet I can follow?

Pete, we think so much alike its scary.

I actually tried that & agreed, it would work given the low rpm (@ 60rpm) & you're right a minimum of 3 bearings is all that would be needed.

My issue with that design was axial load. In order to feed the stock I needed both sets of bearings, (or tubes as you have drawn) to house a one-way ratchet type system that would allow the stock to feed in one direction, but not the other (or back itself out)

The lazy susan bearings are actually made for an axial load, but again I don't like the 1/16" slop, if you double that (one set stationary/geared & the other fixed to the Y gantry) that makes for 1/8 of play. :mad:

You could scratch the whole ratchet design in the "thru" bearings if you could push the stock from the rear, but that means running a rack & pinion or something similar outwards to 8 feet from the business end.

I hope that makes sense, i'm starting to confuse myself :teef:

Damn, I figured Vodkaman would be all in this by now :whistle:

I wanted to bring this contraption to the MO gathering but it weighs almost 100 pounds & would have to go freight.

We still have 20-some days to slim her down :)

If I wouldn't have made it to do big game baits, it would've been much smaller.

Brilliant Del- Lot's of old worldy principles at work here, just add an electric motor and it's modern.

I would love to get a close look at it, governors and variable speeds, cams and chains--we/ I could learn a lot from this.

A steam engine without steam.

Beautiful thing.

Pete

Im in the prosess of building a duplicator myself . Im not a fitter or engineer of any sorts just a handyman . The cutting device ive selected is a 4inch angle grinder with a mini saw blade . cuts a treat .It still looks rather rugged at the moment and might need a tweek here and there to finish it off but ill not give up till it works . By the way there are some pics on the previous page of trex,s machine that i could not view .Is any one else having the same problem .

FLASH

PS Ill post some pics up on my next assault of the build up .

IMGP2686.JPGI stuffed about with an unsinished machine today with mixed results, Firstly i drove the thing with out any safety in place other then personel stuff . Secondly the feed or travel of the cradle that holds the cutter and tracer was run by hand and thirdly the blank has a tendancy to fall out of the holder half way through cutting. Two steps forward and one huge step back . Ive pulled the thing down to produce a travel system of the cradle using a BBQ rotissery with it being standard a rate of 3 revs a minute ,then to up the volts to something like 12 to get just on 9.5 revs a min . [work in progress] Next will be to adress the blank hold failer. One thing at a time i think gents .Ill post a pic and see if you get how my side by side is looking .

Hope you enjoy .

FLASHIMGP2687.JPG

IMGP2686.JPG

IMGP2687.JPG

IMGP2686.JPG

IMGP2687.JPG

IMGP2686.JPG

IMGP2687.JPG

IMGP2686.JPG

IMGP2687.JPG

IMGP2686.JPG

IMGP2687.JPG

IMGP2686.JPG

IMGP2687.JPG

IMGP2686.JPG

IMGP2687.JPG

post-27585-0-83645500-1320923900_thumb.jpg

post-27585-0-82341800-1320924085_thumb.jpg

Very impressive. You are very close.

I still haven't got around to motorizing mine. I am going to use a windshield wiper motor. I have the motor, just need to get proactive again.

I built my own stock clamp, consisting of two sharp pins soldered in a brass plate. Maybe not as efficient time wise, but it holds just fine.

Good luck with the progress.

Dave

Thanks Dave .Dont give up is what im thinking at the moment .It does get disheartning at times but to push through the CR AP is a must . just got back from the shed and now know that the bbq thingy isnt worth the hassle ,gave it a go but not enough revs . Think i might need about 20 or so ..more thinking me thinks .

Cheers guys .FLASH

As long as your wood spindle is turning two or more times faster than your threaded drive spindle, the wood should not jump out. I found that the wood speed has a maximum speed before the stylus starts bouncing. I plan on rotating the wood at 50rpm, well below the maximum. If your cutter is dull, this exasperates the situation. Try a new cutter wheel if you cannot guarantee the history of the current wheel. A new wheel makes a huge difference.

Dave

Ive just had some what a bit of sucess with my build .ive managed to produce two test run lures with a minor bit of sanding the blanks to finish .The blanks didnot jump out this was achieved by reversing the angle of the blank grab spikes . next i hooked up a wiper motor to an old battery charger to get good 12 volt power to the cradle travel. works a treat . I tried to hook up a polarity reverse switch to that but had some trouble so i just revert back to the pos to neg terminal swap. this is fine too . Now its just a matter of pulling apart to clean up a few welds here and there and a spash of paint and its ready to fine tune.

FLASH

Hey Pete, I scored a few small lazy susan bearings which had a 6 inch ID, only problem is the bearings have a little play @ 1/16" (I know the US standard measurements are killing you :wink:) do you know of a place to score some large ID bearings to pass the square stock thru?

Get ahold of VXB. They have a website and also sell on Ebay. Also a great source for "other" bearings.

Ok fello lure nuts. Ive allmost finished my duplicator. It works and works well . A little sanding but with the cutter im using you gotta expect that .Still need to install a clear safety door and a dust extraction unit and a leaver operated cradle lifting device . Here are some pics to run your eyes over . Feel free to critisise as im all for a better job .IMGP2752.JPGIMGP2754.JPGIMGP2757.JPGIMGP2758.JPGIMGP2755.JPGIMGP2760.JPG

Cheers FLASH

IMGP2752.JPG

IMGP2754.JPG

IMGP2757.JPG

IMGP2758.JPG

IMGP2755.JPG

IMGP2760.JPG

IMGP2752.JPG

IMGP2754.JPG

IMGP2757.JPG

IMGP2758.JPG

IMGP2755.JPG

IMGP2760.JPG

IMGP2752.JPG

IMGP2754.JPG

IMGP2757.JPG

IMGP2758.JPG

IMGP2755.JPG

IMGP2760.JPG

IMGP2752.JPG

IMGP2754.JPG

IMGP2757.JPG

IMGP2758.JPG

IMGP2755.JPG

IMGP2760.JPG

IMGP2752.JPG

IMGP2754.JPG

IMGP2757.JPG

IMGP2758.JPG

IMGP2755.JPG

IMGP2760.JPG

IMGP2752.JPG

IMGP2754.JPG

IMGP2757.JPG

IMGP2758.JPG

IMGP2755.JPG

IMGP2760.JPG

IMGP2752.JPG

IMGP2754.JPG

IMGP2757.JPG

IMGP2758.JPG

IMGP2755.JPG

IMGP2760.JPG

post-27585-0-26016100-1321409676_thumb.jpg

post-27585-0-78939100-1321409728_thumb.jpg

post-27585-0-78742400-1321409782_thumb.jpg

post-27585-0-32910300-1321409850_thumb.jpg

post-27585-0-28668000-1321409909_thumb.jpg

post-27585-0-04372200-1321409972_thumb.jpg

Edited by FLASH
  • Like 1

Earlcus , I had little help from the ouside world as well . Plenty of encouragement but not much else . I basically kept looking at youtube clips like mine and built it with some things i had and a little bought stuff . The travel of the cradle one way or the other was easy with a 12 volt wiper motor with a switch that would allow me to revers poles for one way or another . Talk to a electronics geek for that on how to . The rest i just looked at all the others and used a little from all to come up with this little thing . My freind is building one with a router and i guesse ill go that way if his finish is beter then what i get . All basic machenics really ,Look and look again . My Drill drive is a 12 volt cordless with a 240 volt ac to 4.5 volt dc power suply hard wired in . Simple as trial and error . I made a lot of mistakes along the way but i stuck to it till the end . Dont let it beat you .

Hope this helps and ask if you need help some more and ill try to help if no one else will .

Cheers FLASH

No one is going to give you plans, as it is basically using a motorized tool for a purpose not intended. Designing and building one is not that difficult, it just requires a lot of thought and an understanding of how it works. I suggest study all the videos and pics and ask lots of questions, I and many others will be glad to help you along, just promise no legal action.

Dave