XLR8n

Any homemade lure making machines?

try this company for the bearings McMaster-Carr theyve got about everything a guy could want and then some....ive also got info on a high torque variable speed grinder somewhere on this puter..might solve that bogging down problem.

Thanks,

I love McMaster for those hard to find items, I did see a 6" ID bearing..........

$415.00 ea. :eek:

They did have the lazy susan bearings for around $10, but Lowes has em for 3.95

6031kp2s.gif

There may be another alternative but you gotta support an 8+ foot blank of wood turning @ 60rpms, otherwise it would look like a jumprope :lol:

Red- It's all so simple from this end, always is, when you are not doing it!! Hang in there, you are so close.

I went to the movies for the first time in ages, this afternoon, watched all of them - it's amazing what you can find on the web. Great stuff, you had better bring it with you to Clinton, so we can ogle over it. pete

24 DAYS to GO

Red - Are you planning on a simple spring loaded set of teeth like would be used as an anti-kickback device on a tablesaw around the bearing to push the wood through to reset the machine? As the machine resets, the teeth would push the wood into the cutter and stabilize the wood.

Fingers to hold the teeth could be welded to the bearing.

If you were to tip the saw blade 10 or 20 deg. to the right or left. Do you think there would be more blade cutting the wood at one time creating a slope. Making it not bog down at the tail of the lure. A router has a lot of vibration, hands are numb after running one for a day. I like the blade you are using. The lure should keep its shape?

Red - Are you planning on a simple spring loaded set of teeth like would be used as an anti-kickback device on a tablesaw

Precisely, seems the simplest, so that's what I'm shooting for.

If you were to tip the saw blade 10 or 20 deg. to the right or left. Do you think there would be more blade cutting the wood at one time creating a slope.

I've used that technique before to cope wood on a tablesaw. I havn't tried that on the machine, but tilting the blade a few degrees might very well ease the tax on the motor. I'd have to redo the tracer to suit the change, but it's not that hard, it's made from polyethylene.

Does tackle undergroung insure laptops because Bruces post just caused me to spit my Diet Coke all over my key board.

Yeah, forward it to our claims dept....... Bruce is our claims manager :nuhuh:

Hey, Bruce should I bring it as "carry-on" luggage?

Jerry, from what I'm seeing, as long as you have a padded nylon carry strap and there aren't any cords dragging behind, it should be okay.

The FBI did the background investigation and with the exception of those protest riots in the 60's, you should be able to bring it... BUT, for God's sake, leave the nail clippers home... you're not authorized to carry "concealed weapons" on "domestic air transport" like me.

MTfishingrods, Please, by all means, I'll print some claims forms in the new invisible ink jet ink, fill 3 copies in triplicate on February 30, of any year. Before I can process your claim I will need you to tender the usual $5,000.00 processing fee.

I like the simplisity of using the hand-held motor. I bet that it took alot of figuring out to setup the program for the machine. I have seen CnC machines in dog kennels for use in making personalized dog tags for the pets. Wouldn't it be nice for someone to start manufacturing a Cnc machine that is capable of manufacturing different lure bodies and have it available a local tackle shop for anglers to utilize at a unit cost of course.

The beauty of the set up is there is no program. Just simple mechanics. The concept is to get away for cnc or programs. It takes a lot of time and experience to write a progam. That is the reason it cost what it cost for aluminum molds (plastic or custom lead).

Red - I found these about 12 month ago, I wish I could read Finnish/Sweedish!! The copier under yours, also shows considerable ingenuity, note the bearings, bike wheel centers and space must not have been a problem. pete

12 DAYS to Go

Thinking about your feed issue....

This is a little cross hobby, but on Nitro radio controlled engines, there is a one-way bearing on the crank shaft used for pull starting. These bearings grip the center shaft one way and spin freely the other. With four of these, on rods(possibly spring loaded), around your feed stock it would let the stock feed through but not push back.

Edited by black_co

Kelly- Here it would be the rubbish tip recyclers (trash recyclers???), not sure how you do it there. I have 'gift vouchers' for these places, there is so much good stuff there. pete

Nearly 9 days TO GO

Edited by hazmail

We seem to have "Salvage Yards", great places for used car parts, old wash machines, just about anything under the sun. The flip of that is the "Dump", "Land Fill", and "Recycling Centers"; the places where it was going to be burned, buried, or picked through and then burned and buried.

I never get tired of a good Salvage Yard, hours of pure fun for the whole family!!

I'm currently working on building one myself. The copy carver is basically the plans to build the redneck version of the wood carver (wood-carver.com). I'm about 90% done with mine. The plans are 20$ to download. All reviews that I have seen were positive. I will say this, this machine costs more than the website says. When its all said and done, I'll be in about $300. Compare this to the wood-carver that does the same thing and your saving $2700! Nope, I didn't add an extra 0 to that on accident. I will say this. If you plan on building a copy carver make sure you have accurate power tools. A GOOD table saw is highly prefered. I didn't have access to a GOOD table saw so I did it all with a GOOD circular saw. Tools also needed include a drill gun (duh), band saw, titanium drill bit set, and the most valuable tool... a large carpenters square. Accuracy is the key to perfection. The machine is as accurate as you make it to be. Unless I don't complete this before I loose my subscription I will post a pic.