RayburnGuy

Crashed Hard Drive

Does anyone know how to recover data on a crashed hard drive? Thinking it may be that the bearings in the hard drive failed and the data is still there. It was making a racket before it failed. Should have known a failing fan wouldn't make that much noise. Can the bearings be replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys,

RG

Does anyone know how to recover data on a crashed hard drive? Thinking it may be that the bearings in the hard drive failed and the data is still there. It was making a racket before it failed. Should have known a failing fan wouldn't make that much noise. Can the bearings be replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys,

RG

I would say no. Ther are companies that will recover data from crashed hard drives for several hundred dollars.

You could put this crashed drive in another working compter and set the crashed drive as a slave. You might be able to copy the data to the good drive.

thanks guys,

RG

If you live anywhere near a technical school that teaches computer repair, you might contact them. In the past I have seen where folks have taken a chance and saved money on auto repairs and electronics by having students at a technical school practice their skills. It is a long shot, but it could save you some money and certainly will put you in touch with someone who has an idea what you best route for repair locally may be.

Good luck, I hope you have the luck I did when I got this machine. The same day just after I transfered all the remaining data from my old hard drive, it crashed. For once in my life my timing was perfect. :)

Thanks for the help guys. Can't really afford the several hundred bucks to have the hard drive professionally recovered right now and there aren't any computer tech schools anywhere nearby. Was hoping that because of the noise it was making before it crashed that it might be the bearings had gone out and that replacing them would get it running long enough to at least transfer the data. Oh well, welcome to my world.

thanks again,

RG

Thanks for the help guys. Can't really afford the several hundred bucks to have the hard drive professionally recovered right now and there aren't any computer tech schools anywhere nearby. Was hoping that because of the noise it was making before it crashed that it might be the bearings had gone out and that replacing them would get it running long enough to at least transfer the data. Oh well, welcome to my world.

thanks again,

RG

Believe me, I feel your pain. I was told when you use the crashed drive as a slave it dosen't turn or turn as much. I have tried several crashed drives as a slave and a few I have been able to save.

thanks guys,

RG

RG,

I hate that at present, no one has been able to assist you as you always offer so much advise on the boards. I'm just not a computer guy.

Bohica

dlaery I've got a friend of mine who is going to come by and try hooking up my crashed drive as a slave to see if that will work. Thanks for telling me about that.

Bohica, thanks for the concern. It's really no ones fault but my own for not backing up my data. And don't worry about not being able to help. I'm not a computer guy either and this is a tackle building website after all and not a computer tech site. lol

thanks guys,

RG

RG, I feel your pain. Everyone gets stung like this sooner or later. Wish I could help you, but I cannot.

This next paragraph is the last thing you will want to read right now and I appologise up front, but it is meant for all those who fear this happening to them in the future.

Everyone who values the information on their computer should perform regular back-ups. You can use the built in features on your computer to do this, which only backs up new and modified files. Personally, I don't trust this. My disc is split into two drives. The C: drive contains all the programs and software. The D: drive contains all the files and photo's etc, that I create. Once a month, I copy the entire D: drive onto a 500Gb external plug-in drive, into its own named folder (date of back-up). My D: drive currently holds about 30Gb, so plenty of space. When tha back-up drive starts to fill up, I simply delete the older back-ups. I even through the occasional back-up onto a second portable drive, just incase.

It is all about forming good habits. I hope someone learns from RG's bad experience, I know that is what he wants, he is that kind of guy.

Dave

Hey Dave,

No need to apologize. Your absolutely right. It's my own fault that I didn't back up the files that were important to me. And it's not only the pictures and files that were lost, but a ton of bookmarks, contacts, etc. related to things learned here at TU. I tried hooking up the crashed hard drive as a slave on an older computer and it didn't work so I've lost almost 30 gigs of info. Some of it I will be able to get back from personal memory, printed copies, etc, but for the large part it's gone forever. I will definitely be looking into an external hard drive to store data on.

And like Dave said, if your like I was and not backing up the data on your computer I can only hope you will take a minute to stop and think about everything that is stored there and realize how important it is to you and then start backing everything up.

thanks again guys for all the help and words of encouragement,

Ben

may sound a little crazy but....seeing as you've accepted the data as lost, try putting the hard drive in the freezer for an hour then hook it up cold and try. I was able to get quite a bit of data off a dead drive like this. It was suggested to me from a computer help forum. I think the cold makes the bearings contract giving you "some" time to recover data.

Not reccommended if you plan on having the data proffessionaly recovered

may sound a little crazy but....seeing as you've accepted the data as lost, try putting the hard drive in the freezer for an hour then hook it up cold and try. I was able to get quite a bit of data off a dead drive like this. It was suggested to me from a computer help forum. I think the cold makes the bearings contract giving you "some" time to recover data.

Not reccommended if you plan on having the data proffessionaly recovered

Thanks Bellybuster. That sounds just crazy enough to work. I'll give that a try before I paint a series of red and white alternating circles on it and carry it to the target range. yay.gif (gotta take my frustrations out on something) whistle.gif