CaptRodney

Injector Modifications

I tried to do a search on injector modifications and it turned up some info but not what I was looking for. With that said I am wanting to possible pin my injector nozzles just for added safety. I was not going to do this as I have had good luck not dropping the nozzle in molten plastic very often. I learned pretty fast however my 16 year old want to help me make baits and wants to inject the molds hes doing good but It always is at the back of my mind him popping the nozzle off. I have a couple ideas but wanted to see how you guys that have pinned slip nozzles have done it. I am thinking a knurled thumb screw or pin. drill through side of injector and nozzle at same time. Remove nozzle maybe for ease of alighment re drill injector side 1 size bigger use a knurled pin the correct size. Only issue it it fell out. Other method would be tap drilled nozzle to accept small knurled thumb screw... Just some thoughts. Headed to the lake have a great day guys hope to see some opinions on the modifications and details how you remedied the pin a slip nozzle......:)

Thank You very much in advance.

...I have a couple ideas but wanted to see how you guys that have pinned slip nozzles have done it ... how you remedied the pin a slip nozzle......:)

I copied one manufacturer that does it this way:

This one I pinned is a Bear. At the end of the tube I drilled two holes, close together, parallel to the tube end. I clipped a channel from the end to one hole then laterally to the second hole, I made an L shaped channel (you can make a slight indent to help hold the pin from moving in the channel).

I drilled a hole in the aluminum nozzel that lines up with the channel. From a nail (!!!) I made a pin and sweated it into the hole tapping it in with some JB weld (JB has a 500 degree max so it will work with this heat). I made the pin long enough to handle with the gloves I wear.

Edited by Piscivorous Pike

I tried to do a search on injector modifications and it turned up some info but not what I was looking for. With that said I am wanting to possible pin my injector nozzles just for added safety. I was not going to do this as I have had good luck not dropping the nozzle in molten plastic very often. I learned pretty fast however my 16 year old want to help me make baits and wants to inject the molds hes doing good but It always is at the back of my mind him popping the nozzle off. I have a couple ideas but wanted to see how you guys that have pinned slip nozzles have done it. I am thinking a knurled thumb screw or pin. drill through side of injector and nozzle at same time. Remove nozzle maybe for ease of alighment re drill injector side 1 size bigger use a knurled pin the correct size. Only issue it it fell out. Other method would be tap drilled nozzle to accept small knurled thumb screw... Just some thoughts. Headed to the lake have a great day guys hope to see some opinions on the modifications and details how you remedied the pin a slip nozzle......:)

I (being somewhat of a fanatic) purchased some tubing the same inside diameter as my 2 small Bear's injectors (2 color setup) and made up new barrels (didn't want to ruin the original in case this didn't work out) Then I drilled through the new tubes and the nozzles just above the o-ring with a #36 bit, deep enough to thread. I threaded the holes for 6-32 and purchased some SS knurled thumbscrews. I only use this setup when doing laminates where losing one nozzle in the plastic disrupts the system severly. The holes in no way interfere with using the injector without the thumbscrews for single color injection

Use a roll pin. They are spring steel and will fit snug. Frank

For this sort of thing I use an 18-8 solid stainless pin. It won't rust in normal use and has a very low dissimilar metals reaction (galvanic corrosion) with aluminum. A lot of folks say you need a .008 interferrence fit, but for my molds the closest drill bit I have is only .006 smaller than the pins I use. It takes a hammer to dirve them in, and they won't come out without a hammer.

There are a number of small hardware sellers on Amazon that carry things like this.

at 16 you should be able to show him how to do it correctly and he should pick up on it!! lead by example here!!

Easy to say but no matter. He is 16 years old if like me when his age I liked to push the limits I perfer him not get seriouly burned to learn a lesson and he may never but still easy to say but a caring parent still takes extra precautions.

Anyway great tips and suggestions fromeveryone

Edited by CaptRodney

I took mine to work and had one of the machinists drill into the nozzel and press in a 1/16 pin about 3/32 from the shoulder. Then he milled a slot in the tube 3/32 from the end and .078 wide. Then a right turn for about 3/32. So when i have my gloves on I can push the nozzel and twist to lock in place. I had him leave the pin sticking out about 3/32 so the gloves can get a grip on the nozzel to turn it to the remove position. I also took my 2 color injector and bored a hole on the center line of the insert 1/2 diamater and 1/2 deep. I then took a dremmel tool and blended in the transition from the 1/2 diamater to the .135 hole where the plastic comes out. It made the plastic flow better. Any time you can make a smmoth transition from one surface to another the plastic wil flow much better.

Easy to say but no matter. He is 16 years old if like me when his age I liked to push the limits I perfer him not get seriouly burned to learn a lesson and he may never but still easy to say but a caring parent still takes extra precautions.

Anyway great tips and suggestions fromeveryone

I am with you on this. I know better than to push to hard but now I dont have to remember not to. I have boys who help me from time to time and dont think twice about letting them help. Frank

I had posted last year how to do it, its very easy and for guys with just a hand drill this will help.

put the injector together.

on one of the sides us a 1/16 drill bit and drill all the way through. this is easier said than done so this step is important.

find the spot you want to drill the hole at, turn it up so the drill bit is drilling down only drill just a tad for a starter hole in the tubing.

then turn it so you drill down the left or right side.

The starter hole is hard for most people using a hand drill on a round part going through a corner/side of tubing.

so now that your hole is started get LOTS of WD-40 hose the bit down and start drilling, peck at it DONT drill all the way through in one pass and DONT go full bore on the speed, use LOTS OF wd40 for lubrication.

now you have a injector with a hoel through the side. and it goes through the injector tip as well.

take the tip out of the injector put a long bolt through the hole. double nut it and tighten it down. chuck one end in your drill IE redneck lathe. get a hack saw blade or saws all blade and run the injector tip WERE THE HOLE IS and make a slot.

get some scotch bright and put a tad of wd-40 on it and turn the drill on it will take the burrs off.

take bolts out of nozzle ,

take scotch bright and rub it on the inside of the tube taking the burr out of that as well. now put it together and you can drop a nail, pin or what have you through it.

Always if possible put the hole and groove between the face of the tube and the o-ring not after the o-ring.

quite a few guys use the pins that hold trailer pins on( the smaller versions) or they bend a nail so it doesnt fall through the hole.

Hope that helps

Delw

Oops sorry about the spelling LOL was on the phone and typing.

I had posted last year how to do it, its very easy and for guys with just a hand drill this will help.

put the injector together.

on one of the sides us a 1/16 drill bit and drill all the way through. this is easier said than done so this step is important.

find the spot you want to drill the hole at, turn it up so the drill bit is drilling down only drill just a tad for a starter hole in the tubing.

then turn it so you drill down the left or right side.

The starter hole is hard for most people using a hand drill on a round part going through a corner/side of tubing.

so now that your hole is started get LOTS of WD-40 hose the bit down and start drilling, peck at it DON'T drill all the way through in one pass and DONT go full bore on the speed, use LOTS OF wd40 for lubrication.

now you have a injector with a hole through the side. and it goes through the injector tip as well.

take the tip out of the injector put a long bolt through the hole(where you shoot theplastic through not the one you just drilled). double nut it and tighten it down. chuck one end in your drill IE redneck lathe. get a hack saw blade or saws all blade and run the injector tip WHERE THE HOLE( you just drilled) IS and make a slot.

get some scotch bright and put a tad of wd-40 on it and turn the drill on it will take the burrs off.

take bolts out of nozzle ,

take scotch bright and rub it on the inside of the tube taking the burr out of that as well. now put it together and you can drop a nail, pin or what have you through it.

Always if possible put the hole and groove between the face of the tube and the o-ring not after the o-ring.

quite a few guys use the pins that hold trailer pins on( the smaller versions) or they bend a nail so it doesnt fall through the hole.

Hope that helps

Delw

CaptRodney

I got a email from you that asks

Delw,

CaptRodney has sent you this email from http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php.

i am a bit confused on your instructions on the purpose of the groove

however it wont let me reply, so i will post it here.

The reason for the groove in the tip is so that you dont have to aling the drilled hole every time to the tube drilled hole, which can be a pain in the butt.

attached is a small picture that shows were the pin/hole needs to go which might help

Delw

post-11346-035800700 1279215065_thumb.jpg