Manny

Devcon Yellowing ?

I have read in some posts of devcon yellowing.

I just ordered the devcon 2ton 30 min clear.

Does it yellow or not?

If so what does not yellow?

I'm not trying to continue beating the same horse

just don't want my lures to yellow.

Thanks

All epoxies, plus finishes with names ending in "thane" (urethane, polyurethane, etc) can yellow over time and I think there's really nothing else that's durable enough for topcoating crankbaits. The question is "how fast" and "how much". You can minimize epoxy yellowingy by measuring it exactly and mixing it very well so that all the hardener chemically reacts with the resin. I have Devcon coated 7 yr old white baits that I can't see any significant yellowing on. 5 yrs is beyond the average life span of a well used crankbait in my tackle box, so I'm satisfied. Yellowing is accelerated by heat and UV light. You can buy both epoxies and urethanes that contain UV inhibitors if you are willing to pay more for them than "regular" stuff. Flexcoat Ultra V, Nu Lustre with UV filters are epoxy examples. I've also had good results with Dick Nite moisture cured polyurethane. It forms a very thin, very hard and slick topcoat. Even if it yellowed, you might not be able to notice it because the coating is very thin. Bottom line, I think you'll be satisfied with the Devcon. It's probably the easiest and fastest of the epoxy topcoats.

Your baits will not turn the color yellow, the clear gets a dingy look to it is all. Do not store the baits where it gets real hot (boat, truck, garage) and the clear should be fine. I still fish some older cranks that have that dingy tent and the fish still eat em. I use flex coat ultra V now for several reasons, yellowing being just one.

Some guys want the baits to yellow. The baits are finished with D2T. They claim the fishing results are positive. They put the baits on the dash to accomplish this. (I've been thinking about using a bone color to start with an off white or slightly yellow tint.) Transpar has a bass belly white color makes a good starting point.

More to the point, D2T will yellow and heat speeds up the process (already noted above).