allstate48

Wood Grain

I made a lure that weighed too much, so I cut, and sanded it down.I had to re weight it, and keep checking it in water. Now the wood grain is rough. The wood is Ash. What do you do now. Do you cover it with wood filler? A coat fo Envirotex, or flex coat? Or just paint, and seal, and use it the way it is. I've got 3 coats of base coat white itnow. Thanks Doug

I would try stripping/sanding your base coat, then let the wood breathe a bit. After a couple of weeks (?-less/more depending) I would seal it with a minwax urethane type sealer...about 2 coats. Let that dry several days then flexcoat it. Once the FC cures you should have a fair idea of how it will turn out. The FC should fill some of the rough spots, and if the bait is good and dry before sealing it should not split.

Water is the enemy.

Sounds like the wood grain raised up from getting wet. This is a problem with pine. Dave has it right. To get rid of the raised grain, you will need to sand it down smooth again. Or you might try to clearcoat the lure with FC and then just paint over it. Then put another coat of FC to clearcoat the lure after painting. From reading Daves' posts, FC is light. I know that you could do that with Devcon, but Devcon is heavy and it may ad the weight back to your lure. This would keep you from having to sand the lure.

Skeeter