tacklecrafter

Making A Plug Or Pin For A Do-it Football Head Jig

My football jig mold has a strange weed guard and it is much smaller than a normal base pin, BUT what I have found is I have a drill bit (sorry have no idea what size) that fits perfectly into the weedguard slot, and even though it is small it makes a nice pilot hole for a drill out after I pour/powdercoat them.

Note: I use the smooth end of the drill bit, not the blade end.

Hope this helps!

(I really shouldjust buy a new football mold, but once something works, my cheapness really shines.)

I have found that regular 12 gague electric romex will work for that size pin. I have a bunch cut and if they slide out of the jig mold then put a small piece of duct tape over one side of the pin slot. That will keep them in place.

With them you can pour, paint, then pull them out. They cost less than 1/2 a cent each. 10 gauge may be better but I don't have any of that laying around.

DSC02634.jpg

Edited by Jig Man

Are you wanting to pour them without the weedguards in so you can powdercoat them prior to glueing the weedguard in, or do you want the jig to be finished without the weedguard??? I modified a football jig mold to accept the regular 1/8" dia. weedguard, but I use a 1/8" piece of steel rod when I pour the heads. Remove steel rod, powderpaint, drill out weedguard hole, bake heads, glue in weedguard. If I don't want a weedguard at all I use an old Y-guard weedguard not completely inserted into the jig mold, after pouring file off the excess, then finish. Good luck.

Tony

I used an 1/8" base hole pin, cut down to be just long enough to touch the head cavity. I only cut one down, but i should cut one for each cavity size. As you change cavity sizes, you need a different length pin. But i just cut off the excess if it's too short, or just deal with a small dimple if it's too long.

I also experimented with using JB Weld to plug up the base pin hole all together. I used the clay bar mix type of JB Weld because i was in a "hurry" (read: i'm impatient) because it advertised it would be usably cured in 60 minutes. It worked reasonably well. Some of the plugs got loose after 50 or so jigs.

I'm going to re-do this with the regular two-part JB Weld and see how that does. It says it withstands heat to 500 degress...even if it lasts up to 100 jigs before it breaks down, i'd be happy.

Where can I get them? Thats the same mold I have thanks

I have found that regular 12 gague electric romex will work for that size pin. I have a bunch cut and if they slide out of the jig mold then put a small piece of duct tape over one side of the pin slot. That will keep them in place.

With them you can pour, paint, then pull them out. They cost less than 1/2 a cent each. 10 gauge may be better but I don't have any of that laying around.

DSC02634.jpg

My football jig mold has a strange weed guard and it is much smaller than a normal base pin, BUT what I have found is I have a drill bit (sorry have no idea what size) that fits perfectly into the weedguard slot, and even though it is small it makes a nice pilot hole for a drill out after I pour/powdercoat them.

Note: I use the smooth end of the drill bit, not the blade end.

Hope this helps!

(I really shouldjust buy a new football mold, but once something works, my cheapness really shines.)

^^^ what he said