atrophius

Question About Finished Bait

Recently I finished this crankbait and went to retest it. I was curious if i could get some opinions on this. When i tested it, it had a really strong wobble and i could see it in the pool I was using rolling side to side violently. It rolls 90 degrees either way. Is this normal? due to the size of it, maybe I am not used to such a strong resistance on the retrieve. take a look and let me know what you think about its form pls.

med_gallery_20736_8_13022.jpg

@ athrophius

Personally I do not like such action too much , but the fish are gonna have the final opinion on that :lol: !

It is all a matter of the line tie/lip configuration , also the body cross section .

The latter seems to be rather flat , thus the lure lacks sideward stability in the water and tends to swing out around its center axis like you've described , .........make the body with a kinda "V"-shaped cross section(thicker at back)and it will gain more buoyancy towards its back , which will counterwork the sideward swing tendency and probably also cause the lure to perform some more "X"ing(viewed from top) .

And off course a bigger lure with a very pronounced action would clearly be felt in the rod rather more than a smaller one !

But I would not doctor on this lure , rather make a new "clone" sporting some little changes , ....this way you could clearly compare !

good luck , diemai :yay:

Alright, thanks for the input guys. I think I will give it another go. i was making this one for someone else and I dont feel right giving him this one hehe. When you say " V " cross section, are you talking about the long axis of the lure or the cross axis? i was thinking that the lip should be a little higher and the angle of it be more parallel with the long axis of the body. Anyhow, thanks for the help guys.

@ athrophius

....now I'm confused as well ....... :lol::lol::lol: , ......I just meant to leave the belly thinner and the back(top) thicker , ...."V"-shaped viewing from the very front or rear in alignement of the long axis .

Sorry , but I don't dare to give you any more advice about lip placement and angle , ..........I have once made a similar one with a similar lip configuration like the one you've described , .....and it did not swim at all , it just dug down straight !

These types of flat bodied deep divers are not my kinda ground , not at all ,..... I prefer round or rather oval cross sections , at least for lipped baits :huh: !

Sorry , .......greetz , Dieter :yay:

@ athrophius

....now I'm confused as well ....... :lol::lol::lol: , ......I just meant to leave the belly thinner and the back(top) thicker , ...."V"-shaped viewing from the very front or rear in alignement of the long axis .

Sorry , but I don't dare to give you any more advice about lip placement and angle , ..........I have once made a similar one with a similar lip configuration like the one you've described , .....and it did not swim at all , it just dug down straight !

These types of flat bodied deep divers are not my kinda ground , not at all ,..... I prefer round or rather oval cross sections , at least for lipped baits :huh: !

Sorry , .......greetz , Dieter :yay:

Ah ok. I get what your saying. It takes me a few sometimes hehe. I am almost wondering if i do not have enough ballast in it either. i didnt want to over weight it like I did on some others to were it sinks slowly. I guess I will just try some different variations.

Another thing you could try is raising the angle of the bill so it's more in line with the lure body. It looks to me like the lip angle is too steep for the action you want. Less angle on the bill will usually result in a tighter action.

Just thought of this: adding another, smaller weight close to the tail could also tighten up the action. The extra weight would stabilize the tail to a degree, generating less action.

Ben

Edited by Fishwhittler

When you tested it did you have the hooks and split rings on it? Makes a big difference, also sometimes adding a little soder wire around the belly hook will cut down on the wobble.

Ok, thanks for more input. I am going to try a few different things. I didnt test it with the hooks and stuff on. I kind of modeled this one off of one of Fatfingers shads based on the my lip angle and design, but I had just looked again, and his belly is a little deeper and it has flat sides. So, I got some things to work with. Man there is a lot of stuff to this! lol. I am more use to making little flat sided ones with circuit lips. I guess I will work on some bigger baits with you guys suggestions. Thanks!