rugbyfisherman

What Is The Best Place To Sell Your Lures?

Starting making soft plastics a few months ago. I want to make some money up for what I spent on molds and plastic and was wondering where most people sell their baits? I was thinking eBay but the soft plastics are super cheap on their and you can't really tell what quality is like - I don't think it would be a good place to sell as I don't think I would get a fair price for my high quality scented, salted soft plastics.

Should I go to a local tackle shop and give the owner a bag as a trial and see if they would stock my product? Thanks for any suggestions,

Starting making soft plastics a few months ago. I want to make some money up for what I spent on molds and plastic and was wondering where most people sell their baits? I was thinking eBay but the soft plastics are super cheap on their and you can't really tell what quality is like - I don't think it would be a good place to sell as I don't think I would get a fair price for my high quality scented, salted soft plastics.

Should I go to a local tackle shop and give the owner a bag as a trial and see if they would stock my product? Thanks for any suggestions,

go to any and every tackle shop you can, show them the product, ask if theyre interested, and go from there. ive also heard of people using craigs list, something to think about. thats about all you can do if you dont know any of the right people in the biz.

If your going to start selling make sure you have your tax paperwork in order first.

Charlie

This is my problem. My hobby needs to have a business theme to it now. I have more stuff than I know what to do with and I need to sell baits. I do floaters and lead and I'm thinking of adding

rubber. I need to know what the next step is. Someday my kids are going to have one kick butt hobby which is what keeps me going. I wish my dad would have done something like this. But for right now I need some help on selling some of this stuff. What taxes papers are involved . Am I considered a manufacturer being so small. I recently imported from china as well. I'm sure that's a extra form as well. If my wife knew she would kill me but today is a good day so lets live it, Right? :rolleyes: . Off to the perch honey hole!!!

Edited by Da big tuna

This is my problem. My hobby needs to have a business theme to it now. I have more stuff than I know what to do with and I need to sell baits. I do floaters and lead and I'm thinking of adding

rubber. I need to know what the next step is. Someday my kids are going to have one kick butt hobby which is what keeps me going. I wish my dad would have done something like this. But for right now I need some help on selling some of this stuff. What taxes papers are involved . Am I considered a manufacturer being so small. I recently imported from china as well. I'm sure that's a extra form as well. If my wife knew she would kill me but today is a good day so lets live it, Right? :rolleyes: . Off to the perch honey hole!!!

You need to get setup with your state and the federal government as a business. Anything you produce and sell you will have to pay 10% excise tax. Even though you consider it a hobby the minute you sell something you are a business. Especially if you sell to stores they are going to want invoices/receipts and will claim them as expenses. The last thing you want to do is not be setup legally then have the IRS calling you.

Charlie

1. Write a book and magazine articles showing how to use your lures to catch your fish. Show your web site where they can get your lures.

2. Go to trade shows and sublease a booth, partner with guides, work with fish groups to get known.

3. Get on the speaker circuit showing how to catch your fish with your lures.

4. Partner with guides to sell/use your lures. Build up your reputation. THEN

5. Let distributors or local tackle shops come to you as you both work the shows, clubs, tournaments, fairs, etc. together.

Good luck.

John