wcutrout

Introduction

Hello Everybody,

I have been reading alot of your toipcs over the past few days and can quickly tell how valuable this forum is. I've decided to join as I want to start making my own soft plastics in the near future. Does anyone know of any good "starter kits" anyone is selling or any good beginner books I can use for reference? Any information regarding what equipment, materials, etc to start with would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to sharing ideas and developing with your help.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Welcome, Your question on a starter kit is good but what direction will you be going? There are three differant type molds you can get or make, open meaning one piece, two piece meaning full round baits and injection meaning full round but you will need an injector to use the mold. So when you look at the kits from differant suppliers you will see a differance in price and you will know how to compare. Now a two piece mold that is for hand pour can be injected with great results so if you see one you like dont write it off if you want to inject. I started out with hand pour and love the versatility of using the molds both ways. I do alot of laminates and when I buy a mold that is always in the number one reason I buy it( how well it will do a laminate ). You picked a good time to start as there is alot of great products out that will give you a variety to choose from. Good Luck Frank

Welcome to the madness;lol.

As far as books go, you really don't need one now that you're here. Not to brag; but there are more than enough minds here to help you with any problem you might have. B)

Can't help you with women though; 60 years and I'm still learning about them; lol.(don't tell the wife) :o:lol:

www.novalures.com

Thanks for all the info.

Frank,

I would like to concentrate on 2 piece hand pours and injection. I'm not crazy about the flat sided soft plastics.

I am a little leary of the "starter kits" as well. If you were starting out and had $500 to invest what would you get? This will help me more than anything right now knowing what to get and not to get, ie. colors, plastic, hardener, salt, etc.

I qould start out with this-

2oz black

2oz watermelon

2oz grn pumpkin

2oz grape or purple

2oz minnow silver

1oz chart

1oz red

1 gallon medium pour plastic......I'd recommend 5 but you don't know if this is for you yet.

2oz scent craw or garlic

I do not use hardener or softener

gallon of flour salt

2oz glitter in the following .015 and .035- red, black, green, black grape, silver, gold

I'd say this is all less than 100.00 total

then pick your molds to taste

Earthworm is right on with the list a great starting point. I have over seventy differant molds and three are one piece. I am with you on the flat top baits. Heck I even have some two piece open molds that I pour but dont like the out come. Molds come from alot of suppliers so look around and start with a bait you can be proud of. Bass Tackle, Del Mart, Bobs Tackle,Bears, Jacobs Baits And Lure Craft all have a great selection of molds. If you decide to go the injection route remember the hand pour can still be injected. All of the above suppliers have Injectors and good quailty ones I might add. Try and get the most bang for your mold dollar. Frank

Used molds are good to go. nothing wrong with them. I'm in the process of selling many of my molds, look on eBay or the clasified here.

As long as the cavities are not damaged your probably good to go on used molds. Most molds you get from mentioned vendors will serve you well...Find ones you like and what you want to make that way you enjoy fishing and have confidence in the type of bait your making.

nothing wrong with one piece molds. most guys don`t like them because they can`t pour them. some of my best sellers are flat sided baits. fish could care less if its round or not. good luck

Having just recently started I would add one more thing here. Pick a bait you use a bunch of and start with 2-3 molds that are exactly the same. When I started pouring I had one 4-cavity mold for stick baits. It took damn near 1 hour to make 20-30 baits. You may have to spend a bit more up front, but you will be glad you did. Having only one mold can be a slow process... heat, pour, demold, heat, pour, demold, etc. You'll spend more time at the microwave than you like.

nothing wrong with one piece molds. most guys don`t like them because they can`t pour them. some of my best sellers are flat sided baits. fish could care less if its round or not. good luck

Having just recently started I would add one more thing here. Pick a bait you use a bunch of and start with 2-3 molds that are exactly the same. When I started pouring I had one 4-cavity mold for stick baits. It took damn near 1 hour to make 20-30 baits. You may have to spend a bit more up front, but you will be glad you did. Having only one mold can be a slow process... heat, pour, demold, heat, pour, demold, etc. You'll spend more time at the microwave than you like.

Welcome to the world of make your own lures.You will find all the information you will need at this site.Everyone will go all out to help you succeed.