.dsaavedra.

Spar Urethane

a long time ago i borrowed some spar urethane from a friend and i coated a popper in it. it has since yellowed a ton (it was kind of yellow in the can, i think he may have had some kind of stain mixed in) but the finish is pretty nice and hard. i scratched it up and smacked it a few times with the serrated portion of a knife and it held up pretty good.

do they make non-yellowing spar urethane? anybody have any experience using it as a clear coat?

a long time ago i borrowed some spar urethane from a friend and i coated a popper in it. it has since yellowed a ton (it was kind of yellow in the can, i think he may have had some kind of stain mixed in) but the finish is pretty nice and hard. i scratched it up and smacked it a few times with the serrated portion of a knife and it held up pretty good.

do they make non-yellowing spar urethane? anybody have any experience using it as a clear coat?

I recently built a small row boat and used Marine epoxy everywhere on it.

What wasnt painted to protect it from the UV was given a coat of Hellmans Spar Urethane. Real hard finish but did say on the can ... dries a yellow tint.

Its great UV protection, but as for a clear.... Theres not.

so theres no such thing as a non yellowing spar urethane? bummer, i like the finish it produces.

The paint companies came out with UV protected poly urethane to try to cut down on the yellowing. High gloss spar varnish is a really tough, flexible finish. That's why it's great for boats, and exterior woodwork in general. But it is a natural product, and I don't think they've figured out a way to make it UV protected without taking away some of the great features that make it so good.

Go to a good paint store, not Home Depot, and talk to someone there who actually knows the products.

Or go online and check out Dunn Edwards, or Sinclair Paints, or whatever they're called now. There is usually a phone number for technical assistance.