motomania

Badger Brand Airbrush Question.

I picked up a Badger 100 GXF airbrush from a buddy of mine this weekend and LOVE IT! It's a few years old, but almost identical to the 100 model line available today. It sprays MUCH better than my Harbor Freight 2-stage, and cleans easier too. smile.gif

-

But here's my question......I was wanting to spray some thicker paint, and step up to the Medium spray regulator/head assembly, as it has the Fine head assembly now.

-

Is it necessary to upgrade the needle/needle tube/spray regulator and all associated parts along the needle, to utilize the benefits of the medium spray regulator/head assembly?

-

or can I just upgrade to the Medium spray regulator/head assembly, and use a Fine needle to spray thicker paints?

-

Thanks in Advance! beers.gif

If it's like my Badger 170, each size tip includes a needle, a nozzle insert, and a screw-on spray cap. Size is designated by the number of rings etched into the piece, or sometimes an etched number or letter S-M-L. When I accidentally mismatched the parts, the results were rarely good but if you don't have the complete set of tip parts that came with the airbrush, experimentation can't hurt much.

Thanks Bob,

-

I have a Medium and Fine Head Assembly (tip) and needle. But, the Medium needle won't fit in the Needle Chuck in the back or the tube shank. Which leads me to believe I would need those parts also to use the Medium Needle? Unless I just use the Fine needle in the Medium Head Assembly?

-

The Fine needle seals at the tip like it does with the Fine Head Assembly, but I'm just not sure how the results will be yet. :huh:

-

And the parts list/websites don't show different sized Needle Chucks/tube shanks?

-

Maybe it is just a matter of experimentation. I did shoot Badger an e-mail on this too though; so we'll see.:)

I looked at a schematic for a 100 series and it apparently uses a 3 part head assembly plus the needle. The head assemblies are sold as sets in S/M/L, as are the needles. The nozzle on the 100 looks similar to one on an Iwata (a small screw-in nozzle) and is probably sort of fragile, so I can't recommend trying to mix/match the parts because a wrong size needle can split the nozzle if you aren't careful. I haven't seen specs on the hole sizes in mm for the various head assemblies. I use an a/b with .3mm tip for thicker paints and flakes, and one with .2mm tip for fine shading and details (Iwata). To me, .3mm - .35mm is the 'sweet spot' in tip size if you are going to use one a/b because it will shoot almost any a/b paint but can produce decent shading and detail, with experience.

If your medium needle will not fit in the back of the a/b, I'm suspicious that it may not be intended for that model Badger.

All said and done, I think the correct head assembly parts, paired with the right needle, will give you much better results with fewer clogs and goofs, and will make using your a/b a lot more fun and productive to use.

I certainly agree on matching up all the parts; as I think my problem might be making more sense.

-

I had a chance to call Badger and they were very helpful. I can't help but think, that the medium needle package I bought, may not actually have had a medium needle in the pack; it actually looks quite a bit larger than the Fine. I'm gonna swing by the hobby shop tomorrow, bring my airbrush, Fine and New needle; and compare.

-

Tha packages are not really sealed, and someone could've bought the pack and swapped out a large needle for the medium; only to return. I hope to know more about this tomorrow evening. (fingers crossed) ;)