alaskan79

How To Remove Paint From Spinner Blades

Hi

I have 400 #6 spinner blades that I need to remove the paint from. They have a White primer under the blue paint. The blades have a lot of blemishes on them. I used a dremel to remove the paint from one to see how hard it would be to use it. The paint is hard, so I am thinking that it might be lacquer. I am planning on powder coating them. The metal is steel.

Thanks Henry

Henry, with 400 blades to strip, I think you have only one option and that is paint stripper. With the blades being steel, no worries about damaging them. Treat paint stripper with respect, it is nasty stuff. Wear the correct gloves, work out doors, wear eye protection.

Dave

Paint stripper for sure.

If you already have some acetone try testing it as a soak bath for a couple blades. If you don't mind the wait it should take it off. use a sealed glass jar. I did some way back when. I could peal off the paint like a snakes skin. Can't say what the paint was in those days but it should have been laquer.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I am going to try the paint remover. I will be doing it outside so that will help with the fumes and I will wear safety glasses and rubber gloves. I might try dipping them in it. With them being that small that might be the easy way to coat them.

Henry

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I am going to try the paint remover. I will be doing it outside so that will help with the fumes and I will wear safety glasses and rubber gloves. I might try dipping them in it. With them being that small that might be the easy way to coat them.

Henry

Henry,

I use Parks paint remover. There is no smell at all you can do this in your basement, it is also non-flammable. However do what Vodkaman says. It must soak over night. Take a bowl dump all of your blades in there and then fill them all with paint remover. next morning take them all to your slop sink and then you can wash off the paint remover. Works like a charm. Discard used paint remover properly.

Well I got some paint stripper today. I took a glass jar that was going to thrown out and poured about a 1/2 inch in the bottom. I had some small wire that would fit the hole in the blade and I dipped it in the stripper. I left it soak about 20 min. and the paint was off the blade. I then washed the blade in cold water. All the paint came off real nice. I only did 6 blades to see how it was going to work. I left them dry then I powder coated them to see how they would look. I need to get a fluid bed to coat them it will be a lot easier.

Henry

Well I got some paint stripper today. I took a glass jar that was going to thrown out and poured about a 1/2 inch in the bottom. I had some small wire that would fit the hole in the blade and I dipped it in the stripper. I left it soak about 20 min. and the paint was off the blade. I then washed the blade in cold water. All the paint came off real nice. I only did 6 blades to see how it was going to work. I left them dry then I powder coated them to see how they would look. I need to get a fluid bed to coat them it will be a lot easier.

Henry

Henry,

Well I'm glad all the advice given here worked for you. A fluid bed is the way to go for mass production one color powder painting. If you're up for the challenge, PM me your e-mail, and I will send you instructions on how to build one yourself. It is pretty simple. If you are not handy then I would suggest to support one of our members here who sells them. His name is Benjamin from TJ's tackle here is the link. http://www.tjstackle.com/ Good Luck.

Cadman I have tryed to PM you and it says you can't receive any more. Can you PM me the plans for the fluid bed please

Thanks Henry

Henry I sent you a PM with my e-mail.

I will find out why I can't receive anymore PM's. I just looked and It's not full. Hmmmmmm