Munkin

Which Oomoo For Foamies?

Foamies are different to resin with micro balloons, two different products. The foam comes in different weight ratings, 2Lb, 4Lb 8Lb and 16Lb. These numbers represent the weight of a cubic foot. For lure building, you need 16Lb foam, the rest are too soft. 16Lb foam gives a specific gravity of 0.25 (water = 1.00), this is very good for lively action.

Resin with microballoons will give more hardness and structure, at the expense of density. Best you can hope for is 0.65 - 0.70. This is not necessarily a disadvantage. One advantage is less lead required compared with low density foam.

So the question is, what are you looking for, resin or expanding foam?

Dave

Foamies are different to resin with micro balloons, two different products. The foam comes in different weight ratings, 2Lb, 4Lb 8Lb and 16Lb. These numbers represent the weight of a cubic foot. For lure building, you need 16Lb foam, the rest are too soft. 16Lb foam gives a specific gravity of 0.25 (water = 1.00), this is very good for lively action.

Resin with microballoons will give more hardness and structure, at the expense of density. Best you can hope for is 0.65 - 0.70. This is not necessarily a disadvantage. One advantage is less lead required compared with low density foam.

So the question is, what are you looking for, resin or expanding foam?

Dave

What shore hardness should I get for making the mold to pour baits in. I already have the Alumilite resin/micro balloon and weighting on the bait down. My mold is starting to deteriorate and I want to make a new one that pours thru the tail instead of the belly for neater parting lines.

Allen

Looking to make some new molds for foamies(Alumilite w/microballoons)and was wondering which one to get? I forget where I bought the last stuff but it was a 10-1 mix ratio so I want to try OOMOO because it is 1-1.

Allen

Allen, I recently bought Oomoo 30 to make some transitional molds for a project involving antique tin striper lures. I made Oomoo 2-piece molds from the original lure to pour Alumilite Super Plastic models that I can modify before making stronger permanent molds to pour the finished product in tin. The Oomoo is very easy to work with and is relatively cheap. The down side is that it's relatively soft and flexible, and doesn't have great tear strength. That wasn't really a problem - the plastic pieces came out great, and I even poured a couple of tins, just to see if the molds would hold up, and they did. (at least for a few pours) I can't speak to durability, but I was pleased with the Oomoo for the uses I had in mind, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again, as long as superior tear strength isn't required.