Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbassone

Paints For Airbrushing

4 posts in this topic

I am new to the site and to airbrushing and was wondering can I use any latex paint through my brush if its thinned enough, Will any latex paint stick to my lures or does it have to be airbrush specific paint only. Thanks for any help!

I've found that it's better to use air brush paint, because the pigment particles in regular latex paint are too big for most air brushes.

I've used "hobby acrylic paint" like Apple Barrel thinned with water. The problem is that non-airbrush paint has no standard about how large the pigment particles need to be, nor does it have flow agents. It will be Clog City unless you are using an a/b with a large tip. No harm trying it but I think you'll come around to the view that airbrush paint should be used in airbrushes. A bottle lasts a long time so the modest extra expense is not really much of a consideration when you consider the hassles you will be avoiding.

I've used "hobby acrylic paint" like Apple Barrel thinned with water. The problem is that non-airbrush paint has no standard about how large the pigment particles need to be, nor does it have flow agents. It will be Clog City unless you are using an a/b with a large tip. No harm trying it but I think you'll come around to the view that airbrush paint should be used in airbrushes. A bottle lasts a long time so the modest extra expense is not really much of a consideration when you consider the hassles you will be avoiding.

Thanks for the help guys