earthworm77

Modifying Bears Injectors

Let me just first point out that I am not out to trash anyone, I use more Bears molds than anyone elses for injection molding and I think they are the best out there(I like the hinge), that being said, I am extremely disappointed with my Bear's two color injectors. The fact that these injectors do not have a pin holding to the nozzles on makes them useless. And I'm serious, you simply can't make them function for production without a modification which I did. The nozzles pop off with the slightest of pressure and the thin channel inside the nozzle gets gaked up quickly. I started pouring half the molds with traditional pyrex and then shot the second color through my Jacobs, it worked great but was likely slower than I wanted.

Normally I can make lemonade out of lemons but I was so annoyed, it just got me twisted. I think I will drill a 1/8 hole and then make a channel a la Jacobs.....should be easy enough....I just wonder if that will make the thing function?

Update.....in the middle of this post I went into the shop and drilled two perfect holes through the sides of the injector and into the nozzles...opposite where the spout is...worked the first time. Tomorrow I will get some pins and also open up the inside diameter a little bit. Just to get better flow and for ease of cleaning.

Anyone else have any recommendations....did you have this problem too?

hey craig i have been using bears stuff for a little over a year and a half now and in the beginning i also popped the tips off a few times until i got used to either placing the edge of the tip against the plate holding the motor on my presto pots and then purging the plastic back into the pot that i didnt use. i never went as far as you have simply because i liked the ease of which the tip came out so it was easier to clear for the next shot after demolding,,,jon/pw

I did the same thing. It is a twist lock now. I also changed the nozzle as well. I brought it to the machine shop where I work and took a 1/2" end mill and went down either 1/2" or 3/8". I am at work and the injectors are at home. I then took a dremmel tool and blended the transition from the 1/2" to the hole the hole that comes out of the end. What I tried to do is get a larger amount of plastic as close to the exit point as I could. I have a medium injector that I put the twist to lock pin in as well. Some people can do the hold it up agaist the bottom of the cup thing but I find this real easy to use. When I return the plastic to the cup if I hit the end of the stroke the tip stays on. And to remove it I just take a glove and turn the end. The pin sticks out a bit and the glove catches the pin and off it comes.

I have 2 of bears and 1 from Basstackle.com. I need my nozzle to stay fixed until I want to pop it out so I put a small screw in the side of Bears, but it is still a pain to remove. Got one of Kevin's at Basstackle and WOW...thicker tube wall with a bayonnet style locking pin for easy on/off nozzling, he makes a high quality injector.