Kris

How Do You Do This ?

Do you think the Water Droplet Effect (as shown in the YouTube vid) would would with water based paints?

Since you are using water to gain the effect and then spraying a water based paint onto the water droplets??

Do you think the Water Droplet Effect (as shown in the YouTube vid) would would with water based paints?

Since you are using water to gain the effect and then spraying a water based paint onto the water droplets??

Good question. First thoughts would be no, because the paint is water based, it would dissolve into the droplet. But you have to think deeper and understand the paint. My guess would be that it has a chance. The paint pigments are solids, so such tiny fragments should not pierce the surface tension of the droplet. I hope you try it and report back. I could be totally wrong.

Dave

Good question. First thoughts would be no, because the paint is water based, it would dissolve into the droplet. But you have to think deeper and understand the paint. My guess would be that it has a chance. The paint pigments are solids, so such tiny fragments should not pierce the surface tension of the droplet. I hope you try it and report back. I could be totally wrong.

Dave

I was thinking about the surface tension also, I think it should work really.

I'm wondering what would happen if you thinned your paint quite thin, applied small drops of the thinned paint and then wrapped plastic wrap over it. If wrapping the plastic over it provided the random shapes it could be allowed to dry enough to remove the plastic wrap. Just letting the brain wander. blink.gif

Kris - I think you will find the 'water droplet's' is done with enamel paint, not sure weather thinners based or oil based, but suspect thinners, the pigment spray would float on the drops and drop around the sides - Oil based enamel would also float on the droplets and probably drop, BUT would take ages to dry.

.Pete

I'm wondering what would happen if you thinned your paint quite thin, applied small drops of the thinned paint and then wrapped plastic wrap over it. If wrapping the plastic over it provided the random shapes it could be allowed to dry enough to remove the plastic wrap. Just letting the brain wander. blink.gif

Depending on the base coat and whether it is durable enough or if you have put an intermediate clear on it, the technique you just mentioned is how you create a marblized paint job. However, you do not let it dry under the plastic and you pretty much remove it right away.

HOK makes a thinned silver pearl paint just for doing this and it works absolutely as advertised.