jimbo

Freshwater Stripper Rod

Good Day haven,t been here for some time hope everyone,s doing ok, Thinking of building a freshwater striper rod for fishing off the bank.Need a little guidence in my selection,tne river is wide and 20 feet deep or more.I,m leaning towards a 8' 2pc musky rod 20-30#

and 2-3oz.Haven,t decided on spinning or casting but am inclined to go with a casting.Would appreciate any input you guys might have. Thanks Jim

Good Day haven,t been here for some time hope everyone,s doing ok, Thinking of building a freshwater striper rod for fishing off the bank.Need a little guidence in my selection,tne river is wide and 20 feet deep or more.I,m leaning towards a 8' 2pc musky rod 20-30#

and 2-3oz.Haven,t decided on spinning or casting but am inclined to go with a casting.Would appreciate any input you guys might have. Thanks Jim

Freshwater stripper rod? They call it a pole. Oh you meant striper.

Heavy Mag Bass blanks, Muskie blanks and Saltwater blanks can all be used.

More moderate actions for moving baits with treble hooks. Faster rods for feel presentations with single hooks.

Match the lure rating of the blank to the lures you'll be using most.

Thanks Matt didn,t see your post till today these are the two rods i,m looking at both st croix 2M80MHF and 5SC86HF2-G The second one is a steelhead rod but am thinking of cutting it back a few inches on each end that would give me a 8' and being 2 piece easier to travel with. The line and lure #,s are close to what i,m looking for and i think by cutting it down a bit those #,s should go up a tad.Not sure about enough backbone for setting the hook?.

And voiding the warranty is another consideration. I don,t know maybe i,m way off on my thinking/ it,s not my first build but i,m still a novice builder for sure. Thanks Jim

Thanks Matt didn,t see your post till today these are the two rods i,m looking at both st croix 2M80MHF and 5SC86HF2-G The second one is a steelhead rod but am thinking of cutting it back a few inches on each end that would give me a 8' and being 2 piece easier to travel with. The line and lure #,s are close to what i,m looking for and i think by cutting it down a bit those #,s should go up a tad.Not sure about enough backbone for setting the hook?.

And voiding the warranty is another consideration. I don,t know maybe i,m way off on my thinking/ it,s not my first build but i,m still a novice builder for sure. Thanks Jim

You've got two extremely different blanks there.

That LE blank will be quite a slow blank after you cut it up. Steelhead stuff isn't nearly as fast as Bass or Muskie gear.

St. Croix's MH Muskie blanks are super all around Muskie blanks. They'll handle inline bucktails to topwaters and some cranks. Very versatile blanks.