Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bohica

Swim Bait Tail Fins

10 posts in this topic

What material is being used to make tail fins on swim baits?

Well, some people have made them out of wood, but if your looking for the hair type stuff, it is called friskets. I believe you can get it from fly fishing suppliers.

Some use polycarbonate (lexan), some use molded soft plastic. My choice would be molded gelflex, it is a re-meltable rubber, a bit stronger than the plastics that the softbait guys use.

Dave

Geflex sounds like it would work very well, but isn't easy to find in the 'states'. Does anyone know where to find it in the U.S.? Sounds like it would be nice to use for mold making too.

Kent

Try local model shops, phone them first. Better deals available on line.

Dave

I vote for Lexan. They last longer and you can paint them easy! Plus you can cut and design them to look like a real tail better than you can soft plastics unless your a soft plastic expert which I am not. I HATE SOFT PLASTIC TAILS ON SWIMBAITS.. THEY DONT LAST BUT 1 or 2 FISH PERIOD.

Edited by The_Rookie

I vote for Lexan. They last longer and you can paint them easy! Plus you can cut and design them to look like a real tail better than you can soft plastics unless your a soft plastic expert which I am not. I HATE SOFT PLASTIC TAILS ON SWIMBAITS.. THEY DONT LAST BUT 1 or 2 FISH PERIOD.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info, looks like I'll try the Lexan route.

Bohica

Thanks guys, appreciate the info, looks like I'll try the Lexan route.

Bohica

I use both the plastic dividers from Plano boxes, and the clear plastic tops from tubs of guacamole I buy at the market.

If you want bristle tails and fins, you can use paint brushes. They come in both natural bristles, and nylon, and, with patience, you can make them work.

Well, some people have made them out of wood, but if your looking for the hair type stuff, it is called friskets. I believe you can get it from fly fishing suppliers.

i thought they were called fibbets?

i thought they were called fibbets?

They are. Friskets is a masking material that has a light adhesive like a post it.