masterlure

Chrome Paint

Hello, I'm new in this forum and I've want to present me to everyone. Sorry if my english is not very well, because I'm from spain but I will try to do the better I know.

I'm looking for a chrome pait to do bright finishes. I am tested the chrome paint used to tunning cars, but when I apply my topcoat the bright desappear.

There is a special paint to do this?

Thank you for your answers.

Edited by masterlure

Welcome to TU.

Your first question is a big one, that we are all trying to find an answer to, so far not successfully.

Many members solve the problem using aluminium foil. Glue on and smooth out the wrinkles with a spoon handle or wooden tool. Just to get you started.

Dave

Guys have tried various chrome paints and got the same results as you, except I remember someone saying they found a very expensive chrome product (more than $100 for a very small volume) that worked. Like Dave says, I substitute foil. Since there are foils with similar reflectivity, it's a good alternative. There are various foil alternatives but I like Brite-Bak adhesive foil because it is thin, strong, and easy to apply: http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/i-proj/mosaic-access-vent.htm

It will transmit 3D features on the lure's surface very well, or you can texture it yourself on wood lures.

Husky, this is a good way to do the similar effect. But i don't know how the factories do that.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect factories use an automobile-type paint for their chrome.

I found that using Target Coatings SC9000 as a top coat doesn't dull the shine on chrome/metalic paints.

You have to heat set both the paint and the top coat with a hair dryer on high, and it will work.

I'm not an industrial engineer but think factories probably use a chrome electro-deposition method similar to the one used to chrome plastic auto parts. If you have peeled the chrome paint off lures (Rattle Traps come to mind) you see the coating is super thin and usually has pretty poor adhesion compared to other finishes. When I repaint Rattle Traps, I choose a chromed model to start with because it's so easy to remove its chrome finish.

I'm not an industrial engineer but think factories probably use a chrome electro-deposition method similar to the one used to chrome plastic auto parts. If you have peeled the chrome paint off lures (Rattle Traps come to mind) you see the coating is super thin and usually has pretty poor adhesion compared to other finishes. When I repaint Rattle Traps, I choose a chromed model to start with because it's so easy to remove its chrome finish.

Bob,

Someone here, probably you, recommended Venture Tape for foiling.

I bought some, and it is a breeze to use. Silly easy.