Jump to content
paint and results
7 replies to this topic
Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:23 PM
Well, as being inspired by you guys, I am trying to perfect better finishes. I still cant seem to get the right paints that will work well thru the airbrush and cover for desired results. I bought some expensive water based taxidermy paints but they just have to be thinned so much that they are very transparent. I am thinking of just using some clear coat and mixing all my own pigments and solids into it to get desired colors.
using stencils and the use of pearls and transparent paints will give the best results, but just gave up and went back to stuff out of rattle cans sprayed through the airbrush to get results below. they are fresh and uncoated with epoxy topcoat yet.
Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:39 PM
Im wondering if you studied cubist painting at all. It reminds me of a Picasso painting in a way. ARTSY AND VERY FRESH and a different kind of look..... and from the paint from a can.... pretty DARN good! I like them alot! Cody
Posted 28 February 2004 - 12:00 AM
you said expensive taxidermist paints! Try this insted> wildlife paint by smith paints or other makers of paints intended for wildlife painting.Its thin> goes on well with airbrush(what it is made for) and is inexpensive. this is what widlife artists use (not taxidermist so much) .then clear coat it.
Posted 28 February 2004 - 01:01 AM
I think the baits look great! Regardless of the paint you are using you will find that each bait you build things turn out a better. Those are some fine looking lures!
Posted 28 February 2004 - 10:27 AM
Those are some sharp looking baits. Very unique pattern..good job. As far as paint goes the best I have found is Createx Auto Air...make sure it is the auto air..better quality then the regular createx...
Posted 28 February 2004 - 10:39 AM
some very festive baits...should be good in lakes with a bluegill forage base. keep it up!
Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:20 PM
Hy Herman, nice job!!
I think the wil do very well for our Dutch Pike!
What type your gues using for epoxy topcoat!
I'm from the Netherlands and build a few lures!
Posted 28 February 2004 - 11:22 PM
Would love to throw them at your pike Frank! I have caught a few US pike up to 25 lbs on lures I made. On the topcoat I am using the 5 ton Devcon, but plan of switching to the envirotex.
As for today I tried to go a little less impressionistic as the Punkinseed was and stick to a more basic Spring bream patern.
I did some with pearl, but liked these the best. Still am using all paints, on these I used water based, acrylic and laquer paints.