Dictator Of Painters

Glueing Eyes

I know the eyes will stay on when you clear with epoxy. Also, that you can put a dab of epoxy behind them too. Is there any kind of super glue that would work fine instead for holding the eyes on? I'm using auto clear. Thanks

My experience with super glue is that it clouds the eye. I think super glues have mek and it does this when the mek evaporates. I super glue some and put in clam packs and that make a big mess.

I actually just use the cheap Ya'll-Mart super glue. And have no problems with clearing using D2T and DN. I only use a drop of super glue big enough that when the eye is pressed on, it will only cover about half the surface area on the back of the eye (about the size of the tip of a toothpick). All that to say, a VERY tiny drop. But it'll hold it fine to clear, and it never shows.;)

I have used super glue before and not noticed any problems. If you do keep the drop very small so that when the eye is applied non comes out from behind the eye. Dont know if this causes issues with the top coat, but I do know it sticks to fingers and either leaves skin on the eye or eye socket or attaches the eye to your fingers instead of the bait.

Angus

I know the eyes will stay on when you clear with epoxy. Also, that you can put a dab of epoxy behind them too. Is there any kind of super glue that would work fine instead for holding the eyes on? I'm using auto clear. Thanks

To glue my eyes on after clearing with an automotive clear I am using PARFIX 200, Medium Fast Cure Speed. It is a CA glue and I put a couple drops on a piece of paper then I use a needle to dip into the glue and apply a small very controlled amount on the lure before I press the eyes down on the lure.

Now you ask where to get it. I got mine from the Balsa supplier on line, and I bought so much balsa it has been a couple of years and I still haven't used it all or all the CA.....so uh I kind of forget their name. Google for balsa and then look for the glue. Or you might be able to check with the manufacturer of the glue at www.parsonadhesives.com.

GOOP will hold eyes on just about any smooth surface better than epoxy, and if gets onto the surface of the eye, you can just wipe it off with alcohol or peel it off when it cures. I use it on saltwater flies; the flies really take a beating, but the eyes stay put. Like the other adhesives mentioned, you have to use a tiny amount to keep it from spreading out from under the eyes. The only downside is that it takes longer to cure than the superglues, but once it cures, the eyes aren't going anywhere. You don't need one of the specialized products like Marine GOOP - Household GOOP will do just fine.

To glue my eyes on after clearing with an automotive clear I am using PARFIX 200, Medium Fast Cure Speed. It is a CA glue and I put a couple drops on a piece of paper then I use a needle to dip into the glue and apply a small very controlled amount on the lure before I press the eyes down on the lure.

Now you ask where to get it. I got mine from the Balsa supplier on line, and I bought so much balsa it has been a couple of years and I still haven't used it all or all the CA.....so uh I kind of forget their name. Google for balsa and then look for the glue. Or you might be able to check with the manufacturer of the glue at www.parsonadhesives.com.

Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PARFIX-200-MEDIUM-CA-ADHESIVE-2-oz-bottle-/270591906180?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories

I use the gorilla super glue... very small drop before clearing. Haven't lost an eye yet since I've been doing this. I suggest getting the bottle (vs. the aluminum tube). The bottle has a ton of glue, its the perfect consistency (about as thick as gel), and the cap has a NEEDLE inside... It's one of those things you just go, "WOW!, why doesn't everyone do that!" Oh, I'v had bottles opened for nearly a year without any sign of the glue drying up. So if you love some super glue, I highly suggest trying this out.

Another tip... since I'm GLUED to it! Syringes with the long needles are great for injecting super glue into diving lip cut outs without making a mess of your paint work.

I found two very good plastic glues, both are super glues. My second choice is Loctite's Professional strength super glue in a squeeze bottle, sold on a blister card, (found at Home Depot.) It is a strong good holding glue but nothing else special about it, it works good.

The number 1 glue I found is made by SURE HOLD, the product is called PLASTIC SURGERY. It is sold in a consumer size small dispenser which has a unique anti-clog cap.

http://www.surehold....e&id=7&Itemid=2

I did not find it locally so ordered it from AMAZON.com, but be warned I have seen it sold from $1.49 to $10+ for one card of it! I usually pay the lower price, off course.

This glue will hold anything, it is for more than plastic but it has something in it that causes the super glue to mix or enter, if you will, the plastic surface, and weld the two pieces together. If you put a drop onto soft plastic it will cause a lump where you can see that the glue penetrated the surface giving a secure base to whatever you are gluing to it, I use it for eyes on soft plastics too.

When I was first "FRANKENSTEINing" a soft plastic lure design by combining pieces of existing products I had to find a glue that worked. I experimented with many types that work on plastic and vinyl. I learned there is quite a difference in the types of super glues and how they work. For soft plastics some super glue combinations are sold where a procuct they call a conditioner or accelerator is used and basically I found that precursor product to be mostly MEK. I have used MEK to prepare plastics for super glue by dabbing the spot with MEK prior to using the super glue. I now order an adiquate supply of PLASTIC SURGERY. I use it on line knots, leaders, soft lure repair, everything for fishing and now around the house.

This is the best glue for any plastics I have ever used in my life.

Edited by Piscivorous Pike

That Sure Hold stuff sounds like something I would want to try too. I wonder if it works on adding plastic type eyes to foam though. If so that would really be useful to me. I have used Fletch Tite, and a 3M product for plastic and vinyl glue...the only problem with the 3M product is that is will rush out on you, and you will get too much. If you apply it with a bodkin it should be fine...just a small drop or two will do it. I do this with my flies...especially for adding eyes to bait fish patterns on synthetic material.

Don't use Gorrilla super glue. It foams when setting and will lift the eye away from the body. Then you will have a raised stuck eye one looking one way or the other depending on the way the setting foam pushes it.

I'm not referring to the original brown colored Gorilla glue. They make a clear gel-like super glue.... and no, it doesn't foam.