ethan3

Materials Needed

Get online and order Catalogs from Janns netcraft, Barlows, and Lure Craft and start reading.

That should give you a feel for costs.

You also should find some lure making kits and guides this way.

Edited by Matty

Thank you both, I will do that.

If there is one thing I can suggest to you that will make your learning curve a lot easier, it is to start with PVC decking as a building material. It is already buoyant, and waterproof, so those are two major obstacles you won't have to deal with, starting out.

I started out with wood, and went through tons of time and money trying to overcome the problems wood as as far as waterproofing, and ballasting, until I tried AKEK decking.

Plus PVC is strong, so you don't have to worry about through wiring, or other exotic hardward hangers. Screw eyes hold just fine in it, which makes building simpler.

It machines and carves like wood.

And it paints well, so that's another bonus.

I enjoy a challenge, but, for me, the challenge is in designing and building a lure that catches fish, and then in fishing those lures. Not in trying to force a square peg into a round hole, just so I can say I did it.

Once you've learned how with PVC, you can tackle balsa, the ultimate crank bait wood, whose lively action due to it's extreme buoyancy can't be duplicated by any other matterial.

But balsa isn't needed for lots of crank baits and hard lures, and isn't even the best material for most of them, so start with PVC, and learn with the easiest material available.

No, I'm not sponsored by a PVC decking manuf.

I just found something that really works for me (thank you JR Hopkins) and think it would be chickensh!t not to share.