11tonytiger

Feathered Treble Hooks

I am going to attempt to make my own #4 & #6 feathered treble hooks for some of my topwater baits simply because i cannot stand to pay $4 or more for a package of 2.I have watched or read the tutorials on the site so I have a pretty good idea of the mechanics , however I do have some question about equipment needed for this. I would appreciate any feedback

My questions are

What is the preferred vise for this?

What size bobbin do I need?

What size thread spool fits on the above bobbin

What size thread do I need to tie these with ,I understand flat thread is the best

Is neck hackle the preferred feathers for this application ?

I would appreciate sources to buy this eqipment as well as model #'s or specific brand names if you have them

Thanks a bunch

T

i am a fly tyer so i will make this short and sweet. If you are just going to tie a few trebles just get a cheap AA vice Thompson makes a decent one. go to the fly shop bobbin wise i would buy a ceramic one as the metal ones have a tendancy to cut the thread. Now for thread that a tough question all people have their favorite and me too But i reccomend dansville or unithread. And feathers i like to use strung marabou for this application vs neck hackle marabou has a lot more action. There is a great guy on ebay (stores.ebay.com/miamivalleytackle) ( no affiliaton) where i get my stuff. The good thing about making your own dressed trebles is being able to make it in whatever color and length you want. You might also look into getting some Krystal Flash to throw in there make it real lively.

I'm a bigger cheapskate than Tony. I clamp a treble in some locking hemostats and clamp that in my bench vise, throw a spool of size A nylon thread on the floor and wrap chicken feathers bought for a couple of bucks at Michael's craft store. Maybe throw in a few strands of flashaboo. A little clear nail polish and you're good to go. You can color the white feathers with a chartreuse highlighter pen or a Sharpie if you wish. I have a friend who actually wraps flies and does a much better job than I, but the bass aren't complaining yet.

I'm a bigger cheapskate than Tony. I clamp a treble in some locking hemostats and clamp that in my bench vise, throw a spool of size A nylon thread on the floor and wrap chicken feathers bought for a couple of bucks at Michael's craft store. Maybe throw in a few strands of flashaboo. A little clear nail polish and you're good to go. You can color the white feathers with a chartreuse highlighter pen or a Sharpie if you wish. I have a friend who actually wraps flies and does a much better job than I, but the bass aren't complaining yet.

I thought I was the only one who did this in this way. That's a good idea about using a highlighter pen. Always learning something on this web site! :)

tony, really sorry i couldn't get these tied for you. on the last ones i used white neck hackle (saddle hackle would work too, maybe even better, its certainly cheaper), krystal flash for the accents, and red uni thread, i think the size was 2/0. +1 on the ceramic bobbin, they can't be beat. also a matarelli whip finisher will put a nice strong knot on there, and i like to use superglue to cover the threads to insure they are never coming loose.

I would get a vise like suggested. Personally, I like my 30 year old Regal; there are cheap knockoffs. Very easy to use. My stuff is a carry over from flytying. I now use it for dressing trebles, hand tying jigs and modifying spinner baits. If you choose to buy a vise, make sure it can conveniently hold a large hook (like the Regal). If you are going to be doing a bunch, get a vise for sure.

You don't necessarily need a whip finisher; there is a way to accomplish the "whip" with another loop of thread that works really well.

ken

tony, really sorry i couldn't get these tied for you. on the last ones i used white neck hackle (saddle hackle would work too, maybe even better, its certainly cheaper), krystal flash for the accents, and red uni thread, i think the size was 2/0. +1 on the ceramic bobbin, they can't be beat. also a matarelli whip finisher will put a nice strong knot on there, and i like to use superglue to cover the threads to insure they are never coming loose.

You did an outstanding job on those Dave,I can only hope mine will look close,.I'm going to go ahead and jump into this I guess. Thanks for the help and good luck with your college classes.