Dictator Of Painters

Paint Eating Away

I cleared some cranks earlier today. I am using automotive clear and smith wildlife paints. I put 3 coats on each bait 10 minutes apart. On the first coats, some of the paint was eaten away immediately (not alot, just in certain areas on the backs). Now it looks like some of them have scratches on the paint under the clear. Any ideas as to what happened? I'll post a picture later if someone would like me to if it would help. Thanks TU.

Edited by MDB

I cleared some cranks earlier today. I am using automotive clear and smith wildlife paints. I put 3 coats on each bait 10 minutes apart. On the first coats, some of the paint was eaten away immediately (not alot, just in certain areas on the backs). Now it looks like some of them have scratches on the paint under the clear. Any ideas as to what happened? I'll post a picture later if someone would like me to if it would help. Thanks TU.

Hi

I have been using auto clearcoat like yourself and have been disappointed in it's performance. I have not as yet begun to find out what is wrong but it seems water tightness is one of the issues. The clearcoat I use is a 2 part clear and superb in appearance but not in performance. Sounds like your clearcoat could be a nitro cellulose clear and may account for the effect on the paint, I am not familiar with the brand or type of paint so just a guess.

philB

Hi

I have been using auto clearcoat like yourself and have been disappointed in it's performance. I have not as yet begun to find out what is wrong but it seems water tightness is one of the issues. The clearcoat I use is a 2 part clear and superb in appearance but not in performance. Sounds like your clearcoat could be a nitro cellulose clear and may account for the effect on the paint, I am not familiar with the brand or type of paint so just a guess.

philB

Thanks Phil. Anyone else?

Hmmm I was hoping that wouldn't of happened. I wonder why it only happened to a few of the baits.

The auto clear I'm using was recommended to me by a few other painters. I'll never use another clear. This stuff is incredible.

I have been dipping the baits in the clear and it's extremely quick. The only negative to dipping is I have to wait until I have at least 20 painted so I don't waste too much of it.

If you are happy with the clear coat you need to look at the paints. There have been a lot of postings on the TU with regard to incompatibilities. I use nitro cellulose paints and do not have problems with cellulose based clear coats. I've tried a few but always come back to good old envirotex which as far as I am aware does not care which paints it is put on.